New interview with Ged Jones about Derann

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New interview with Ged Jones about Derann

Out since this morning, will be followed by two additional parts every Saturday:

The Derann Interview with Ged Jones - Part 1: Business of producing #super8 prints (1/3)

Just watched it. Great one, Joachim.

Congrats!

Ruben

Comment

Wow what a great interview! Ged is a goldmine of super 8 history. Can't wait for parts 2 and 3. Thank you Joachim!

Comment

Excellent video, and always interesting to listen to Ged! He is indeed a gold mine of super 8 history!

Comment

Derann were a brilliant company to deal with.

Comment

Another great interview, Joachim. Great stuff. Can’t wait for the next two.

Always fascinating to hear Ged talk about Derann.

Keep up the good work!

Comment

Brilliant interview. Great stuff Well done to All. 👏👏👏👏👏

Comment

Waiting for the second part...

Comment

Wonderful interview, Joachim. It's great to hear about the deals and the details of the doings at Derann.

Comment

Thank you all for appreciating the work I invested into this.

Here is the second part of Dialogue: The Derann Interview with Ged Jones - Part 2: Business of selling #super8 prints (2/3)

Comment

Another Great Interview. Fantastic Work

Comment

I've only watched part 1 so far, but fascinating.

Regarding UA, which had the rights to early Warner Bros. films, I have Derann's THEY DIED WITH THEIR BOOTS ON and THE SEAHHAWK, parts 1 and 2 of each, in the original boxes, and they are linear, so to speak, and not standalone digests. They can and should be played consecutively. So maybe the "rules" were loosened eventually.

Just last night I watched ANOTHER WILD IDEA with Charley Chase from Derann. The quality was so-so, and not nearly as good as a Blackhawk Charley Chase.

Comment

Excellent, very interesting as to how Derann went over to 600ft rather than the usual 400 footer

Comment

I've never timed them, but the hubs on the "400 ft" reels look a bit large so they probably do hold closer to 300 foot max. I do have a Derann 2-parter that I obtained on an 800 foot reel, though, and it seems pretty full. Judging from the splices, and a slight change to framing lines after each splice, it is probably one of the ones where each part was self-contained.

I do think that is a perfect length (32 - 40 minutes) for digests, since they don't seem so quick, and are repeatable on a frequent basis compared to full-length. Back in the 80s, those U8 2-parters were perfect after dinner treats when we had guests. If you said you were to show a 100 to 120 minute film, most people probably would have politely declined unless it was planned in advance.

Comment

Oh, I watched part 2 now -- so they did release 600 footers on one reel for more modern stuff.

So, also referencing info on the other thread on THE WIZARD OF OZ, Derann used single rank (correct terminology?) 16mm negs to print double rank Super 8 prints? As opposed to double rank 16mm negs to double rank Super 8 as Backhawk usually did?

At least in the U.K. Super 8 stuck around after VHS became popular whereas it disappeared here in the States. It was the price of silver that jacked up film prices which was the primary reason for film taking a nosedive more than anything else, I think. Wasn't silver also used in color stock?

My family stopped buying Super 8 because VHS was cheap but frankly we rarely bought pre-recorded ones until much later in the 80s when you could get a decent movie for $20. We stuck to renting for about $2 like every else did. Plus the Super 8 catalogs from Blackhawk, Willoghby's, Red Fox, etc., stopped arriving in the mail so we all assumed Super 8 was no longer being produced. You had to go to speciality stores even in the 70s for a decent selection, and that was primarily Willoughby's in NYC for me, although other cameras stores in that area also sold digests from the other manufacturers. Department stores in malls sometimes had Castle extracts, but that stopped by the 80s. The catalogs I received never had any U.K. distributors' product, so I didn't hear about Derann or Walton until the mid to late 90s when I got back into the hobby.

It is a shame that so many color films have now faded including early Deranns due to Eastman color stock. I have an Avengers from Derann that has faded but the last time I watched it it still had some color left.

According to this: http://mimundoensuper-8.blogspot.com...review-of.html
                              not all Deranns even in latter days were on LPP but some on Agfa, which hasn't held up as well, but still much better than Eastman:

"However, sometime around 1990, Derann's releases stopped being distributed regularly on the superb Kodak LPP stock and were instead distributed mainly on AGFA stock, which at the time was considered an even better low-fade stock than LPP. However, the years have proven this belief to be false, as Derann's releases from the early 90s on AGFA began to show signs of fading in 2020: they maintain all the colours BUT the black is turning brown. ​"

It does go on to say that some copies of BEAUTY AND THE BEAST were on LPP.

Plenty of screenshots and even some videos at that link.

So that's yet another questions to ask sellers of Deranns that they probably can't answer! (Lpp or Agfa). But at least they can't claim they don't know because they don't have a projector to run the "tape" through, lol.

I seen around the Web some groups of people buying Derann Disney prints so they can scan to digital since they have been unhappy with Disney Blu-ray releases and how they are too "scrubbed" with altered colors from the original theatrical and even early VHS releases. It's pretty telling that people are preferring scans of Derann prints to the fairly recent Disney digital versions on shiny discs that were scanned from original 35mm camera negs (or something close to it)!

I have watched the latest scan of SNOW WHITE on Disney+ and it looks great and supposedly has the original colors due to prior complaints. My 2 Super 8 extracts have faded a bit but are still pretty decent. They are the U.S. releases and in my experience the "colour" ones from the U.K. were printed on better stock, and the ones I have aren't faded at all. I've tried to read the stock but I couldn't make anything out, it was too light.
                              Last edited by Brian Harrington; September 15, 2024, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X