Yes VS even effects Super 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes VS even effects Super 8

By now we should know that acetate prints of any gauge can be effected. I agree it is rare to find this in a super 8 print but i have come across more than one print : Super 8 acetate that smell like a bag of salt and vinegar chips. Now far away from the rest. Poly are immune so no worries. lesson to all collectors: VS does happen thankfully not frequent. keep sniffing.

I have also a super 8 print that smells vinegar.

Comment

Fortunately, I'm yet to find a VS 8mm film in my collection, but I've been dismayed by certain 16mm 'losses'. I could be wrong but I'd hope that 8mm might be a bit less susceptible, simply because it's narrower width might make it easier for the relevant gasses to disperse. And it's good that those of us who started collecting new prints in the 1980s - and thus were mostly buying Derann prints from around 1983 - will have a high proportion of polyester prints.

Comment

I've also heard that metal cans as often used for 16mm reels may accelerate the problem, most 8mm is stored in plastic or cardboard containers letting more air and moisture out.

Comment

I’ve never quite understood the misconception (in my opinion anyway) that VS is transmissible. It is a process that begins within the print. However, I guess the strong vinegar smell is reason enough to keep an affected print away from others.

Comment

I have a lot of Super-8 acetate, as a matter of fact all of my most important films. (-my own!)

Comment

Michael, I believe the issue with transmission is that nearby prints can absorb the acetic acid given off by VS prints.

I've had a few Super 8 titles that had VS. The Kodak molecular sieves helped eliminate the smell and slow the decomposition.

Doug

Comment

It seems that what Doug is refering to is, sadly, available only in the US. https://filmforevermpe.com/products/...ve-six-packets

Comment

Best store acetate in card boxes to breath.
                  I've only ever had one 9.5mm go vs a sound film

My first Derann acetate film is holding up ok but No Limit feature is struggling, but since I got it in a card box out of a 1200ft can is not as bad as it was. Seems to me the more air you can get moving round prints the better.

Comment

That's how I lost MOST of my (rather small) 8&16mm prints - in the battle with vs.

The hot and humid climate here will do more then enough harm by accelerating the process from "just detectable" to "point of no return" within a year or to, somethimes even less.

Add the salty mix to the atmosphere if you're living near the sea, and that will be a death blow to any media in the collection.

Comment

Nantawat,

There goes my dream of a house by the sea in a nice warm climate!

Doug

Comment

Just minus film collecting hobby...ahhhhh.

Comment

Working...
                        X