Top Hat - Derann Re-Release Feature Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top Hat - Derann Re-Release Feature Question

I'm considering upgrading my original Mountain release of Top Hat (4x400) for a Derann re-release copy (5x400). Is anyone able to advise on the Derann print please (picture/sound quality) and if it warrants the possible upgrade from the earlier Mountain Films release?

Robert - I am slightly confused. You say your Mountain copy is 4x400' ? I have the Mountain version as 5x 400' with prefix stickers on the boxes between 423 to 427. Did they do a 4 and 5 reel variation?

Comment

Hi Melvin, I presume Mountain did a slightly abridged version as my 4x400 does have edits throughout the feature. The boxes are labelled 1-2-3-5 but complete in itself. I have seen other 4x400 copies so I guess the complete feature was available plus a slightly abridged version..?? Anyway, if anyone has seen a Derann re-release version and able to confirm if it's an upgrade in quality I'd be interested to upgrade my Mountain release.

Comment

An amazing topic: my version of TOP HAT is 6x400โ€œ! Although reel 6 is only approx. 70 meters in length.
        How many versions are out there?

Comment

Comment

Yes I can confirm there was a 4x400' and the complete 5x400' version via Mountain, I currently have a Derann re-print for sale, and it's on B/W stock, and is as good if not better than the Mountain original, plus you've got the better Derann sound quality.

Comment

Well I will add my 2ยข worth now ๐Ÿ˜‰

Since resuming this great hobby/pastime of ours about 4yrs ago - I have seen all three versions listed on eBay at one time or another, so they all do exist.

I now have (I think) either the 4 or 5 x400' version back in my 'second-coming' collection but as it's still to be unpacked I'm not exactly sure what I've got ๐Ÿค”

When I first bought this film (1980) it was from Portland Films on Shaftesbury Avenue - 4x400' and has (if not all) at least all the famous song/dances in it.

Like all musicals that were rather 'thin' on story, I presume that the fuller version of Top Hat is purely made up of 'plot' that was taken out of the abridged version.

I haven't screened my copy yet, but to my recollection, the 4x400' version was a good edit which condensed down the storyline whilst maintaining all the musical numbers ๐Ÿ˜Š

Ali.

Comment

I also have the Derann one and it's not lost the contrast as did my mountain print. I've kept the mountain one tho as they used to let you buy a spool at a time direct from the shop.
                The Derann one is genuinely rare.

Comment

Well, if Oliver's 6 x 400' print is a Mountain copy and it hasn't been re-spooled in a way that has changed the format, could Melvin indicate whether his 5 x 400' version completely lacks splices within reels? I ask because presumably a bit of re-splicing might have allowed the 6x400' to fit on five spools?

I know it was quite common for Mountain features to be available full-length as well as 4x400', but the existence of three different feature versions of a particular film would be new to me.

Comment

Hi Everybody.

This is proving to be a very interesting topic!!

Adrian - I can confirm beyond doubt that my copy is a genuine 5x 400' presentation. Firstly, no sign of a splice anywhere on the 5 reels. Secondly, holding it behind a bright light source sometimes is a give away as one can see a change in texture where the extra bits are added. Not in this case. Finally, to cap it all, it has its original leaders which all have printed on them, not written, the correct reel numbers. I am almost certain it is a Mountain release, but as a long shot..........could it be Film Office? No evidence to prove it on the boxes either way, though.

Comment

Working...
                    X