Film collecting event history

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Film collecting event history

This is something that needs properly logging as I fear with the passing years and passing of people the history of events may well be lost.
    So...

Looking back through the archives I have very fond memories of REEL 1 British Film Collectors Convention on May 6th 1989. It was held at the Watermans Arts Centre London starting at 10.30am and closing its doors at 7:15pm. It was a beautiful sunny day outside with a high attendance from both traders and visitors. The venue had a lovely cinema within and I prized myself in the box to have a quick look at the Elmo GS1200 setup at one point.
    It was even more memorable as my late father came with me and he really enjoyed it chatting away to collectors regaling stories of his 9.5, 17.5mm sound projectors and the hundreds of presentations he gave around Kent during wartime.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BF2.png Views:	0 Size:	669.2 KB ID:	12138Me with hair holding my coat.

From memory I believe this was the event where my film CINEMA OF OUR TIME filmed inside and out of a new Warner 12 screen cinema was screened and uncle Ian at Perry's of course was on hand also shaking mine to seal the distribution of Super 8 sound prints as did Derann a little later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	WB Bury.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.3 KB ID:	12141

Those who attended will also remember the premiere screening of STAR WARS A New Hope in the presence of Dave Prowse aka Darth Vader and the cinema was packed out once that hit the screen. The projected image was excellent in that cinema setting and sound the best I had heard at the time.
    Between shows I left Dad merrily chatting away sipping cups of tea and I carried on buying some smashing titles on Super 8 as at this time the world was certainly your oyster.

I also filmed the event in 1989 on my Single 8 camera in SCOPE for posterity.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LM scopes8.jpg Views:	4 Size:	76.4 KB ID:	12142

I really did love Watermans as a venue although it was a little bit limited for dealer tables space perhaps. Dad and I left late that day for home having had a wonderful time, I carried 6 carrier bags of films and film related items home with me that day bolstering the collection no end.

Click image for larger version  Name:	BF1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	102.3 KB ID:	12139

Golden memories
    Last edited by Lee Mannering; June 20, 2020, 08:03 AM.

The Waterman's Arts Centre one may have been the first BFCC that you attended, but it was far from the first one. The Reel 1 on the programme shows that it was the first of two that year It started in the mid 1970's at the Holborn Central Library for a few years, then one at another venue before going back, then it moved to a venue Red Lion Square (the ethical society?) near Holborn tube station for a couple of years. Here's a phot from the 12th event, which was at Red Lion Square. Also one from one of the Waterman's dealer's area.

Comment

Working...
    X