Eumig 500/600 series problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig 500/600 series problem

What causes the front spindle to sometimes slightly spin forewords in load & play causing the film to spill off the reel,it usually happens with the small light 50ft reels as the larger reels are usually heavy enough to stop this happening.I’ve had a few eumig 500/600 series projectors where this has happened.I dont think it has anything to do with the position of the adjustable nut on the otherside of the front arm as that is for rewind torque.I have taken the front arm apart and cleaned it and reassembled it (it is a nightmare trying to get the sprung chain tensioner in the right position) but it still happens.

Hello Jason. It is because the 50ft spools have very small cores. If you put that same film on say a 200ft spool it will not do it.
    My 610D has been doing it since 1974 but with care it will not cause you a problem. Incidentally you will be pleased to know we are not in the minority as Eumig sold 460,000 of these machines all doing the same thing.

Comment

Well i have had at least 10 eumig 500/600 series projectors over the years and while a few of them did this most did not so i would assume they are not supposed to do it so it would be interesting to know what causes it.

Comment

could it be that the spring tensioned parts pull the film of the reel? i have never encountered this as a problem. my first guess also was to clean the slipper clutches but i dont think they cause it. i have about 40 5 and 600 series projectors, and also revue and bolex projectors with the same mechanics and not really have seen this as an issue

Comment

Whipped the back off mine Jason so you can see the innards. Personally I wouldn't adjust the factory sealed tension to the rewind arm top left.

Mine dates from 1973 when I was a lad and encouraged to choose it by my teacher who ran our animation film group at school. As with all things Eumig, if looked after and treated with care they will last you a lifetime.

Click image for larger version  Name:	LM600000.jpg Views:	0 Size:	186.3 KB ID:	12591

If you are in the UK you can set the transformer to 230V. It will deliver the full 12 volts to the lamp and was recommended in a 70's film makers magazine.
          Last edited by Lee Mannering; June 29, 2020, 05:50 AM. Reason: Pic added

Comment

Hi lee, Yes i’m in the uk, i just checked mine and they are all set to 240v, so if i set them to 230v they will be slightly brighter ?, but lamp life would be shortened ?.I also have a bolex 18-3 duo which i prefer, it is basically a eumig 610 but has better more accurate focusing.

Comment

By setting it to 230v instead of 240v would it be possible the lamp would get more than 12v ?.

Comment

It shouldn't as the UK voltage is now supposed to be 230v, not 240v. If not sure a volt meter across the mains before changing the tap would be a safety measure.

Comment

Working...
                X