Sankyo 2000H induced sadness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo 2000H induced sadness

Good news! I got a (new-to-me) Sankyo 2000H from a collector! He threw in a free film for me, and replaced the belt, and I got it at a great price!
    Bad News: the projector functioned, but the picture was quite jumpy.
    Worse news: I went tinkering inside to try to fix it, and I only made it worse. How I made it worse, I don't know. My father and I fiddled lightly with the take-up reel tensioner, but that didn't help at all. Then we tried to adjust the claw, but we couldn't get the grub screws to budge. Now it won't thread the film at all, much less show any of it.
    I'm devastated. What can I do to fix this? Or maybe, is there anyone I can get this to that actually knows what they're doing?

Sorry to hear your having some issues as these are nice little projectors. If Janice Glesser reads this post I'm sure she could help you figure this out. She had or has this model. I once owned this machine but had no such issues. You did indicate the feed mechanism will not catch the film? Did you look at the film path for any pieces of old film that could be caught inside. If there are such issues that would cause the feed wheel to stop spinning. There's also a plunger type piece that helps keep proper loop before entering to the take up reel. This can sometimes become flatter and will not do it's job. There is a fix but as I mentioned Janice could probably walk you through this procedure.

Comment

Nate Lockhart Sorry to hear about all the trouble you are having with your Sankyo. It would have been less complicated if you had posted BEFORE you dove into the repairs. These projectors are tightly calibrated in the factory so any adjustments need to be done carefully.

At this point I can only refer you to some past threads that may be of help.

Starting with the threading issue...Inspect the claw that it is protruding correctly and is not broken. Rotate the shutter and observe the claw movement. Insert a short piece of film or leader and while turning the shutter manually see how the film is threading and where it is hanging up.

Adjusting the claw (Since you had difficulty loosening the grub screw the chances are slim that the claw is out of place unless someone previously made an adjustment and over-tighted the screw.)
      http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...c;f=1;t=009946

Jitter Solution #1: Take-up Assy
      http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...=009280#000000

Jitter Solution #2 Lower Loop:
      http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bi...=006641#000000
      Last edited by Janice Glesser; July 05, 2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

The only thing my father and I did was adjust the take-up reel tension. But that wouldn't disturb the feeding mech, would it?

Comment

No use rehashing what you did or didn't do. Start over with what's now the main issue... the film feed ...and go from there. Report back your findings.

Comment

Nate, I bought a 2000H earlier this year. Soon after I first used it I had this same problem and very sad-inducing it was! However with Janice's help I managed to adjust the claw successfully and am now very pleased with the projector. Once you get access to the grub screws and manage to loosen them as she describes in her post it is 'just' a matter of positioning the claw. You need just enough claw protruding to latch the film sprockets, it's trial and error but worth it. I don't know why it occured in the first place but it's worth persevering because it's a really nice machine to operate.

Comment

Lkie most mechanical-operated device, only one maladjustment would be more than enough to bar its normal operation.
              Considering there are at least a few critical adjustments (protusion,lateral position,vertical position) for the pull down claw alone. Improper takeup tension would only make the matter worse.

I suggest to step back to square one - understanding the principle operation of each elements in the projector first, then figure out what really went out of whack, and finally how to knock it back to its original setting.

(Not projector related but...)
              Recently got a potentially decent tape deck (namely Pioneer CT-W606R) from a local classified for just less than 20$. The owner said that it's mysteriously seized up, completed with cassettes still tucked in both wells and don't know what to do so he just dumped it away.
              Turns out that its rotating head had been grossly maladjusted so that it jammed with the cassette shell, effectively locking up the whole mechanism. A few disassembly/clean up/adjustments later, it's 100% fully functional now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200629_204331.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	13082
              Don't tell me who had attempted to play with those adjustment screws.
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              X