Mighty Mouse Box Query

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mighty Mouse Box Query

Just bought a Mighty Mouse Super 8 cartoon in its original artistic Ken Films Inc cardboard box. The box covers states:- "Full movie length cartoon PLUS preview attractions!"
    Inside was a printed illustrated listing of Ken Films with the heading "Send for our complete catalog".
    Is this paperwork the preview attractions to which they refer?

Maurice

I used to have a couple of Ken Films with previews of Coming Attractions, and they're actually short promo clips of one or two other Ken Films releases that were appended at end of the main film. So no, the catalog is something different. If the Coming Attractions aren't on your film anymore, perhaps someone cut them out.

I always thought the Coming Attractions was a rather cool idea Ken came up with, and I ended up buying a couple of the full-length cartoons just because I saw their previews on other films.

Comment

Rich
      Thank you for the information.
      My film is "Winning The West". The film ends with a fade out, preceded by standard tab cues. This is followed by a tail with info on the film's name. There is nothing more. It's not possible that anything else could have been removed, unless it followed a couple of feet of blank clear film.

Maurice

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ken Films preview  159.jpg Views:	0 Size:	232.6 KB ID:	13683

Like Rich, I always liked the short clips at the end. I remember seeing scenes from Little Rascals, Mighty Mouse and Rodan.

As for your print, Maurice, I have a theory that as film stock costs grew higher, Ken snipped a section from their releases to save money. I've seen prints of Trog that differ in their running time by 30 seconds. There is also the chance that the negative was damaged.....

Comment

Hi Maurice,

I can solve this mystery. The "coming attractions" are intact in the 200' black & white versions of Ken's Terrytoon releases. They feature a short clip from other b&w releases, such as their Little Rascals and Shirley Temple titles. The color/sound version of these same cartoons never featured the "coming attractions," since those clips weren't available in color and sound. I feel the sound releases were rushed into production, since many feature faded prints even when Ken first released them. So they probably didn't even read their own box art! Plus these are a carry over from standard 8mm releases, so the same Terrytoon titles went through several incarnations!

Comment

Carter,

Excellent explanation. I'm so used to Ken's earlier silent releases that I didn't even consider Maurice's print might be color & sound.

Comment

Working...
            X