Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question on Film Office cutdown of The Bellboy (Le Dingue du Palace)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Film Office cutdown of The Bellboy (Le Dingue du Palace)

I'm wondering if a scene has been removed from this print, since this cutdown is approximately 240'. The last shot on the reel is Jerry returning the heavily pressed pants by leaving them leaning against the hotel room door. There's a quick fade out, then there is a splice on my print and the next shot is the end title FIN. It feels abrupt. Is there anything missing? Thanks!

I will resist pointing out that a lot is missing from the cut down.

I don't have a digest version of that movie, but the full version runs about 72 minutes and the over-starched pants scene ends at 59:35 and fades out. The final 12 minutes or so has more short bits, ending with Lewis finally speaking. The last scene in the full version runs about 2 minutes and would be the more logical place to end. I think your suspicion that footage is missing is probably correct.

Comment

Ed,

Thank you! The cutdown starts with Stanley being told to "get everything out of the trunk" of the VW Beetle. Since the engine is in the rear of the car....

Click image for larger version

Name:	BellboyDRM72520.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	166.2 KB
ID:	14143

Then comes setting up the seats in the cavernous auditorium for that night's event. Then a very sleepy women ends up with her hands around Stanley's neck. Next, Stanley tries to be helpful to a guest that has fallen asleep in the blazing sun. He then picks up a pair of pants for pressing, passing by the stage set up for an orchestra recital. He assumes the role of conductor. The "pants mishap" follows. Hopefully someone who has this version can tell us if this is how Film Office decided to end their release.

Doug

Comment

Working...
      X