Unknown film about Bogart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown film about Bogart

I have a 600ft reel of a film called Bogart. it is the second part of a 2 x 600ft film from somewhere. It is not from Hollywood and the Stars. and I have never seen it before anywhere, not even on TV or video, and I would love to get hold of Part 1. Narration is by Joseph Campanella. Anybody ever seen this before and knows who distributed it on super 8mm?
    Last edited by Paul Adsett; August 02, 2020, 09:19 PM.

Hi Paul, I was just thinking about this very same print tonight! When I re-entered the hobby a few years ago I was on a mission to buy anything and everything. Soon after I joined the Forum there was a post from Ian O'Reilly regarding a 2X600' Bogart Documentary called Bogart The Legend. He was asking £29 so I bought it. To be honest, I only looked at it on my editor during Filmguard treatment and noticed it was on color stock with some fade. I will have a look at it tomorrow, being a Civic Holiday here, and will reply promptly.

Comment

I have both Hollywood and the Star 1 x 600 and plus Bogart the Legend 2x600 documentaries. The 2x600 is fascinating as it covers Bogarts life and career plus the 1960s revival of his movies by students in late 1960s. As stated, the colour inserts have certainly fade and some pinkness but generally in print terms it is very good. I don’t know who originally released it but I remember a conversation with Ian and I think he said Perry’s did print copies of this release.

Comment

It was called Tribute to Bogart broadcast in 1967 and originally narrated by Charlton Heston in first run but subsequently done by Joseph Campanella in subsequent re runs. I have also seen it called Bogart the Man.

Details attached https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1307012/

Comment

Thanks Mike, Yes thats definately it, the credits and everything on IMDB match up with the end credits on the super 8mm print. Unfortunately my print has faded to red, but I remember it being a superb print when I first saw it being run at a photographic trade show in Orlando in the 1970's. Believe it or not Eumig were there with their 800 series projectors and were running the full Bogart film in a screening room using one of these machines.
          A few years later I was able to loan it from the Orlando Public Library, which I did on several occasions- they had a super 8mm film library at that time and you could get films for a week at no cost! When the Orlando Public Library sold off their 8mm prints in the early 1990's, I was there buying most of their title's, but Bogart, which I really wanted, was already sold. Five years later I was visiting Williamsport Pa, and went to the public library there, on the off chance that they might still have some films. Sure enough, they had a small super 8mm section, and there on the shelf was a single 600ft reel of Bogart Part 2, which I immediately purchased from them. So it looks like at one time this film was printed up in the USA.
          So I have never seen reel 1 in any form, it's not on video, its not on streaming services, and it never gets broadcast. So it seems that super 8mm is the only available format for this superb documentary of Bogart,
          So, still looking for reel one!

Comment

Not to throw a sprocket in the works but I have a 50ft advert for it which I believe to be a tv spot. Sounds like Heston on my 2 minutes.

Comment

Thanks to Mike for providing the details. Very informative! Great to have Members with such knowledge when information can't be found in the Archive.

Comment

Prints do turn up. Perrys are a good bet. When Ian buys in a collection there tends to be a print on his list on a regular basis. Prices tends to be £29 for a well faded print to the infamous £59-£69 price (Set in 1982) for a decent good print.

Comment

Working...
                X