Eumig speed problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig speed problem

I have a feeling there is more to t his than just the rubber discs (unless this also has a bearing on them). I bought a standard 8 film from Phil last weekend and went to show it on the Mark 810D that had been running very slow when I last used it some months ago. It is now a heatwave here in London and when I ran this film it kept speed properly. I wonder if the lubrication on these machines ages and puts excess load on the drive system when it is even a little cold. I will have to clean down everything and re-lubricate and see how it behaves in the cooler months.

If the rubber discs are more swollen or give a better grip in the high temperature this may not work.

I have has the same problem with my Eumig Mark S 709. I need it to inspect some standard 8mm material I have recently acquired. It tends to run okay from cold at 18 fps but no way will it run at 24fps until it has shown at least a 200' at 18fps. Eventually it behaves.

Comment

On my S 810D, which also had a speed problem, those two pieces, called "support moteur" in French, had to be replaced. You may check that as they eventually break.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200812_011525.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	14975

Comment

I was thinking that perhaps the extra load on the drive system, due to lubrication hardening, might be the cause of early wear and breakages on other components. We may be able to postpone these things by keeping it new and more fluid.

Comment

Did you try cleaning the rubber drive discs with alcohol? That usually helps for awhile. You can always repeat the procedure when needed. And don't forget to also clean the spinning ball that drives the discs. Like Domonique pointed out those two motor pivot bearings do crumble and can also cause this problem too. To replace those can be tricky though. And keep in mind only one of those motor pivots is visible since the other one is located on the opposite side of the motor. The pivot you can see may look fine while the one you can not may have crumbled. I believe Van-eck sells replacements.

Comment

Yes I have cleaned them, but it only runs to full speed in the summer, my 710d is the same, which is what lead me to suspect thickened lubrication causing an excess load when cold.

Comment

Brian

As long as those two plastic motor support bearings as shown by Dominique are ok, then its just a case of adjustment. I have carried out this task myself on a few projectors and it works. Basically all you are doing, is adjusting to get the motor in the "exact center" of the two discs. It can be done by adjusting the those two little side levers, so they just make contact that are held on with the four screws, while the motor is locked in the center with, say feeler gauges, anything that locks it in the middle while you adjust things.

In the factory they also lock the motor and adjust those levers, so all you are doing is the same. Anyway I found some of my old photos that I took at the time that should give you an idea

But first check these out as Dominique mentioned
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040234.JPG Views:	0 Size:	38.6 KB ID:	15404
              If all is well this is what you do...
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040250.JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.8 KB ID:	15405
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040232.JPG Views:	0 Size:	162.4 KB ID:	15406

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040233.JPG Views:	0 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	15407
              Click image for larger version  Name:	P1040242.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.3 KB ID:	15408

Comment

Working...
              X