Elmo ST1200 issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elmo ST1200 issues

As mentioned in a different thread, I'e just purchased an ST1200 magnetic (not the HD model) and I'm having a few issues with it and hope for some advice:
    1. The focus knob had the silver cover plate missing (see photo below) and was unable to turn at all as it was too tight. I loosened the little screw there and managed to get the knob turning ok, but now I've noticed the following:
      1. the left and right side of the screen are not equally focused - you can focus one or the other. I've tried the little adjustment screw, but it is not quite resolved it yet so perhaps need to try some more
      2. the overall picture, although very steady, seems to lose focus and then you must refocus. I noticed that there is a lot of sticky goo stuff around the lens if you pull it out - perhaps to help keep it in place - is this normal?
    2. When auto threading a new film it always exits the channel to the left of the last sprocket - see image below.
    3. Rewinding seems to be fairly sluggish - could this be the main belt running the length of the projector running at the top that needs replacement?
    4. The overall running of the machine seems a bit off to me and not nice and smooth as I'm used to with the GS1200. I note that the grease on the gears look quite old and very black in places - should I clean all of those and replace with silicon grease?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1161.jpg Views:	0 Size:	91.7 KB ID:	14983

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1157.jpg Views:	0 Size:	86.0 KB ID:	14984

Thanks for any advice
    Last edited by Xander van der Merwe; August 11, 2020, 07:16 PM.

I have HD units and they are retired. Now running ONLY with GS1200 machines. I have quite a few working as time permits to have each restored (ebay trash).

Not that I had lots of trouble with the HD machines. They ran during their time very good. Let's not forget on one hand it is a ST but on the otherhand they do things that a GS never does.

The GS seems to be grounded in such a way that it doesn't get dust in the gate the way the ST does which was awful for flickering hairs which is only funny when you have Roger Rabbit, Bugs Bunny, or Magical Meistro going through it.

So maybe what you should do someday is park the ST and have at least two more GS machines......

I understand that you do not have an HD machine but also remember that for the Elmo projector line of super eight machines the HD was the second best projector they made right below the GS

Not too long from now I will turn 60 years of age and when that happens I will have been playing with 8 mm film for 55 years which is a very long time and I don't plan on retiring from the hobby anytime soon as long as I am physically able to thread a projector I will be screening films and giving quality shows as best that I can

to make this possible for the last few years I have been stocking up on projection equipment instead of buying films and I have reached my goal to have enough projectors that as they break down and become unrepairable I have others to fall back on

for GS 1200s I now own 11 and six are now purring like kittens

I also own 4 ST 1200 machines which includes 2 HD and 2 single track D machines. These are fully functional but like all projectors showing signs of aging.

My collection also includes 3 GS 800 machines that do run but need a service call to purr like a kitty.

And ALL of my machines restored or not are optical equipped.

When you support a hobby that recieves another nail in the coffin every time you invite people in to experience it then you need to be ready for the future.

I have no regrets.
    Last edited by Chip Gelmini; August 11, 2020, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts Chip. GS1200s are not that readily available in NZ however (as far as I know) and I was hoping to get a nice working ST1200 which is much lighter to take out and put away for shows.

I spoke with the seller of the above machine today and he has another ST1200 that is apparently in good condition, except for a sound issue, and he is willing to sell me that one too, so one option is to purchase the other one and create a single properly working machine between the two and use the remainder for spares. I guess this is essentially what you have done.

I guess I just need to have a sense whether the above issues are major or minor. I've never seen that sticky goo around the lens for example, so wonder how common that is?

Comment

Most GS machines are multi voltage so maybe in the UK you could get one for a reasonable shipping remove the gearbox cover and properly set it to your countries voltage and that would get you out of the jam.

Be advised and use caution there are some that would only be 220 you need to be absolutely certain that the transformer can be adjusted to any type of voltage for anywhere around the world

Comment

Our NZ voltage is pretty much similar to the UK. Shipping a GS1200 from the UK to NZ, given the weight, is likely to be prohibitively expensive.

Comment

I think the sticky goo is the remainders of ancient lube that was applied at the factory. I found a new in box ST-800 about 3 years ago and it had this too.

All the used machines I’ve ever seen had this stuff cleaned off.

Comment

Thanks for all the comments. From my research online it does appear that the ST1200 is a good machine, even if not on the same level as the GS1200. I therefore do understand the preference for the GS1200 by some. I do have a GS1200 as my number one machine already...

What I do like about the ST1200 is the lesser weight and relative simplicity of the machine where I'd be able to repair it myself, especially if I have a backup model for spares. I can see how to modify that slot to the left of the last sprocket to avoid the film jumping out and I can clean and re-grease the lens now that I understand it is simply old grease. And fiddle more with the horizontal and vertical focus adjustments. The same for inside the back - I can clean and re-grease all those gears and replace the long belt at the top.

So I'm leaning towards purchasing the second ST1200 as a backup and get to work on making one good running model out of it. As already mentioned, we are far away form the rest of the world and shipping projectors across the ocean is not all that cost effective, so one has to work with what is available locally to some extend.

Comment

Xander,

Every time I have to lift my GS1200 I think how nice the ST is!

Comment

Doug

it must be that Xenon bulb 👹

Comment

Working...
                  X