No announcement yet.

8mm? 16? or Both or even More.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some prefer Super 8 simply for the nostalgia. I don't have the storage space or money for anything more than the tiny Super 8 collection I have, but if storage and money were not any issue, I would buy more 16mm than Super 8, for the sharper resolution. And I only like full-length features, but also a few comedy shorts, unedited.

Comment

Much more on super 8 than 16

for me the ratio on features is around

super 8 325

16. 9

and for shorts:

super 8: 150

16: 20

Comment

Steve Klare Hard to believe your son is off to college. Where has the time gone?

As far as my film collection...I started out in 8mm...but I'm able to find a lot more full-length movie titles in 16mm. I get enjoyment out of all the formats...including my little 9.5mm Pathe' Baby. I just love film!

Comment

Don't ask me, Janice!

Just one day on top of another: always something new.

He's a bright, good-hearted kid and always was: time to go off and make something of it!

PS: He's been running a sound board out at school and they are thinking of hiring him!
          Last edited by Steve Klare; August 24, 2020, 08:04 PM.

Comment

Well.
            I never dreamed one day I would own a 35mm cinema projector Kinoton but I did and what fun. Always a 8mm man so eventually it had to go as I wanted a permanent cinema for my 8,9.5,16 and 17.5 films. It's all a compromise and as we get older we need to strike a balance, that being for me a sensible environment for film presentation.
            35mm was wonderful and I still buy a little 35mm for when I find a portable projector.

I'm only speaking for myself here but so much vintage S8 scratched pink is selling for silly prices I've detached from that merry go round instead putting my money into new prints on fresh Kodak stock with movie magnetic magnificent striping service. I'm not buying loads but I would rather have a new film than a well circulated one.

16mm yes many good buys out there but we are back to space, older prints swapping hands many times having done the rounds not to mention the onset of vinegar syndrome.

The thing is with Super and Std 8 even 9.5 it was designed for home and I've seen film makers running films from a cupboard before now ideal for anyone with smaller space.

I've not seen Captain Marvel for sale on 16mm or a recent Bond but the S8 prints are worth saving up for.

We have a bit of a new dawn happening with 8mm film.
            Bang up to date HID lamp conversion, new film prints of which I know for a fact many more are planned and many thousands of projectors available with defunct ones available for spare parts.

Comment

Working...
            X