Eumug S-701 best design???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumug S-701 best design???

I've written about this particular machine in the past and thought I might share my opinion on the Eumig S-701 Super 8 projector.

First of all this is a Super 8 only machine meaning it will have a two pin pulldown claw as standard. The dual gauge version of this machine will have only a single pin claw (Eumig S-709).

The screw type focusing is a dream come true and why it was changed to that sloppy focusing system used in the 800 series is a mystery only Eumig could answer. The Euprovar lenses are nice and heavy and mostly made of metal and feel very high quality and when focused they stay that way throughout the film...no riding the focus knob with this system.

The amplifier is a vacuum tube amp that delivers 6 watts of power. The amp can drive a 4-8 ohm external speaker. Interesting is the design of the speaker jack, which is like the 800 series but with a simple twist. If the speaker plug is inserted one way it kills the projector's internal one. If the speaker plug is pulled and rotated 180° and reinserted into the jack you can use both the internal and external speakers at the same time. This clever design is achieved by adding a third female connector to the socket, thereby allowing the standard speaker plug to still be compatible with any other machine. By looking at the sound heads it will be quickly observed there is no hum-bucking coil to be found. The reason is simple...tube amps don't need it because there is no hum to speak of that needs eliminated in the first place.

The projector's threading is only semi-automatic in operation. The film loads automatically only onto the upper sprocket and through the bottom of the film gate. The loop at the bottom must be made manually according to an indicating arrow and placed into the slot and back sprocket. Although this semi-automatic is not highly convenient, it means that the film can be easily removed from the projector at any time during projection. This also means you have full access to the sound head that makes cleaning it a dream. Another clever little feature that Eumig added to this design is that when the sound amplifier is turned on the pressure pad moves into position for sound films and will then clamp the film when switched into the lamp on position. Eumig achieved this by mechanically linking the on/off volume control to the pressure pad. When the sound amplifier is turned off the pressure pad is locked out of the way for silent film and never makes contact during projection. And also because you need to manually make your bottom loop before it goes into the sound head you can add an extra frame or two to completely eliminate any film chatter in the sound! That trick is not possible on the 800 series.

This model also uses the very econimical 12v 100w FCR lamps too. The lamp holder is adjustable via two small levers at the bottom. One lever moves the lamp forward or backwards, while the other moves it either right or left. Any slight manufacturing difference of the filament placement inside the bulb can be overcome with these levers for edge to edge brightness.

On the S-701 the rear gate is permanently screwed into place while the front gate alone slides out for cleaning. But why is the back gate not removable, you may ask? Simple, because with this design there is no risk of breaking off the pins on the claw when removing the gate and forgetting to set the inching knob at the dot. Since the rear gate always stays in position there was no need to put a dot indicator, which this model does not have or need.

The two 12v threading lamps are a nice touch too and come on as soon as the machine's projection lamp is turned off.

With all that being said, is it a perfect machine? Of course not because you still have the typical Eumig drive disc problems to always deal with and the weight of the machine is much heavier than the later 800 series. But it does come very close to an ideal design in my opinion.

Great review of this fine projector Joseph! Everything you say makes absolute sense, and I agree with you that in many respects this machine is superior to the later 800 series. Unfortunatley, I am sure that projector design, like all commercial items, was heavily influenced by Marketing forces and bean counters. I can easily imagine a design review meeting at Eumig where the Marketing guru's insisted on fully automatic film threading and rotary knob focusing and the bean counters were out to minimize manufacturing cost. (That is not necessarily a bad thing- Engineers need somebody to keep them in check!)

Comment

Could you please put up a photo of this design, for those who are not introduced to this design?

Comment

Osi, you can see a picture here : https://van-eck.net/en/spare-part-fi...Mark%20S%20701

Comment

In case anyone is interested the Eumig S-701 also has the honor of being the very first Super 8 sound projector made by Eumig. It was available from 1966-1969 and 27,000 of them were built.

Comment

Comment

Van Eck's site shows the 18mm f/1.6 lens as a spare, was it sold with this as an option? I have one in a Mk 501D and a test review said it was a very sharp lens, better than the zoom option, which is why I bought it. I'll have to get that out and try it in a more powerful projector.

Comment

The S-701 shipped with a Austrovar 1,4 zoom lens as standard equipment. Personally I use it with an Euprovar 1,3 zoom lens but I also have the original 1,4 in a drawer. My eyes can not tell the difference in light output between the two but the 1,3 zoom gives a larger image than the 1,4 zoom lens. There are many other lenses that can be substituted on this machine as well. A member here once told me there was also a 1,0 lens available too.

Comment

I have the 1.0 Lens (for my standard 8 projector, but it's the same design). The difference of brighrness is very noticeable but it gives a smaller picture.

Comment

I have the dual brother model S709D.
                    But I don't like the curved threading slot which isn't too easy to place a film. I think the Eumig designers were thinking too much about the then current audio tape recorders in which you dropped the tape into a slot.

Maurice

Comment

Are they any quieter when running than the 800 series ?.

Comment

The S-701 uses the same drive mechanism as the later 800 series. I would have to say that the completely open design of the film path makes it a bit more noisy than the fully enclosed 800 series.

Comment

Looks obscene with a scope lens!

Click image for larger version

Name:	EUMIG.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	15686
                          Although mine is not quite the same model, thanks Joseph for arousing my interest in this projector. I also have a 1.3 10mm lens that gives a massive picture & even with a picture this big, the focus is precise, sharp edge to edge & even. Many of my other swing out gate type super 8 machines would struggle to get an even focus at this size.

As you point out increasing the bottom loop slightly completely eliminated any chatter on the sound head which is present on most, if not all of my other super 8 projectors. Very nice sound from that valve amp & surprisingly good from the projector storage box / extension speaker. Rotating the speaker plug for both speakers works well too. Probably as good as my external amp set up.

Another fantastic & most valued feature is the simple & completely non scratch film path. Ahead of it's time, sort of a semi slot loader although I did have to pull off the bottom cover make removing film mid reel easier.

Fine with 400ft reels, takes 600ft but the take up struggled at the end of a full 600ft reel on mine & the film started to overflow. I did see in an old "Arm Chair Odeons" a long play unit that fitted on to the carrying handle! Love to have a lamp upgrade, but the tiny lamp house is a thing of beauty, and it would be a shame to modify.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Mark, that is impressive with that lens! I'm happy to hear that someone else enjoys this type of machine as much as I do. As far as the takeup reel not working correctly that is a simple fix. Take off the back cover and you will find an adjustable nut on the backside of the takeup reel. Give that nut a clockwise turn and the takeup reel tension will be increased and your film will wind evenly. You may have to play with the adjustment a bit but you will arrive.

I agree that it is not easy removing the film from the soundpath area but it can be done without removing the two snap on covers....it's just fiddly because of the guides that keep the film in the path of the head and the pinch roller.

Yes, the two biggest advantages of all is the wonderful vacuum tube amplifier and the trick I pointed out about eliminating film chatter in the audio by slightly increasing the size of the bottom loop (can't be done on the 800 series).

​​​​​​

Comment

Oh, and if anyone is looking for those 12v 2w threading lamps, they have 12 of them left at France lamps

https://www.francelampes.com/advance...ba9s&x=23&y=16
                              Last edited by Joseph Banfield; August 26, 2020, 04:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X