Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Fungus' like element on projection

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone here could assist with a possible explanation for this 'fungus' like elements I'm seeing when projecting my recently acquired my first projector, a Bolex 18-5 automatic 8mm.
    I'm used to fungus on my photographic equipment but the lens on this does not appear to have fungus when inspected.
    I've contemplated opening up the casing for where the bulb is stored but am also unsure if the circled screws are the ones to unscrew if i am to open the casing. Any advise will be appreciated! Have attached an image of how the projection is looking like, as well as the screws I mentioned. I've tried looking online but can't find any details on opening the casing. I read that there is a filter inside and it could be due to the deterioration of the filter?

Did you clean the gate ?

Comment

Yea, it looks like a dirty film gate to me too.

Comment

I agree.
        Dirt accumulated at the bottom of the gate.
        The gate should be cleaned every time a projection session is ended.

Maurice

Comment

I agree, fungus on the lens would only lower the contrast of the projected image, that is debris in the gate.

Comment

At least the gate swings wide open so it should be dead easy to spot and clean up the dust&dirt in the gate area. Other projectors would have a hinge-type gate where you have just about 5mm gap to pinch the cleaning brush in, and hope for the best.

And no, those screws aren't for removing the lamphouse cover. Not sure if it's the black knob at the center?

Comment

Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much for your help. It was indeed the gate and I
              didn't suspect it initially as I couldn't see any dirt just by looking at it. In any case looks all clean now. Waiting for my film to arrive to play! Noted on the comment on the screws Nantawat!

regards all

Comment

Arul Dass Unscrew the black knob just to the right of the voltage indicator to remove the lamp housing/cover. What you have circled is the lower film guide.

Comment

You also should inspect the heat shield glass that's between the gate and the bulb. This piece of glass can get quite dirty.

Comment

Working...
                  X