Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I fear it’s something I’m doing wrong

Hello everybody,

after a family bereavement i find myself the owner of a number of family 8mm reel-2-reels, and 2 projectors.

the first which has had the electronics removed is a Boots (uk shop) branded Tarta 8mm; the other is a smaller ‘Kokoku auto mini’ Which seems to work - although the motor is underpowered so i need to help both of the reels rotate.

i would like to be able to use one or either to try and view the films but at moment i have very little success...

the Tarta will only work if i attach a good torch and manually wind - but thats harder than I’d anticipated - am i wasting my time?

the Kokoku seems to work and does project, although i only ever get a flicker rather than actual image - i know it does work because the few times its jamned i get a good single frame - before i rush to turn off the light (to save burning the film)

i guess all of this is user error - but is it possible to use a modern bulb - perhaps a G10 - and manually wind???

And is my problem with the other, some kind of synchronisation issue in the projector, or just a symptom of having to assist the reels.

my goal is to convert these to digital for the wider family - so am i better off just buying a modern converter - i saw another post about Wolverine scanners - but i also read that many of them only convert to jpg; and capturing frame-by-frame, then restitching sounds like an awful lot of work.

sorry for all the questions, and too for potentially mixing topics - but any advice would be welcome.

i can provide photos if required.

Reading more - could i be mixing 8mm and Super8 - can a 8mm projector play super-8 film .... and what about vise-vera?

Comment

Ok - it looks like both of my projectors are standard 8mm, as too are at least a few (& those i’ve been testing with) film reels - so that’s a good start i guess.

Comment

To start with, there is an easy way to tell which type of 8mm film it is. Standard 8mm had larger holes, about 1/3 the width of the film, and super8 has smaller holes, less than 1/4 of the width. That gives you a larger image surface.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	8mm film format.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	9.9 KB
ID:	15696

Comment

Thanks Gregory,
          i’m pretty sure they are 8mm now - but i’d not considered there being an audio track, partly because neither of my projectors have speakers or outputs. MMmm... that’s something else to think about!

...it was only a only a few days ago i collected the box of reels and 2 projects and though to myself “how hard can this be!”

Comment

OK - after another night playing - i have more success.. and have found a tourist guide to Paris and the final car scene from ‘W.C. Fields - Never Give a Sucker an Even Break’ which having found the details on-line, its a full length movie, so may be the contents of a number of the other reels.

having that success, i went back to some of the first ones which game me trouble - and they do seem be flickering images. Looking at the film itself it does seem to be a series of similar photos - but does anybody know if some 8mm runs a different speeds? I did also consider it being a separate audio track - but does it looks like images.

any thoughts?

Comment

Colin, I don't know your projectors so what's follows is a kind of general consideration. A silent films runs at 16 or 18 fps and a (commercial) sound one runs at 24 fps. Since you said your projectors are silent ones, they are not supposed to have the 24 fps speed (sound projectors have a 18/24 selector) but they may have a speed control button. If you see flickering, the speed may be lower than 16 fps so the solution is obvious : increasing the speed. Regarding sound : if there is a magnetic strip glued on the opposite side of the perforations, that's a soundtrack (there may also be a strip on the perforation side, it's called compensation track but on standard 8 films, there is most than probably no sound on it ; on super 8, there can be sound on both tracks but you need an appropiate projector to read the compenstion track. Hope it helps.

Comment

Dominique,
                thanks - that makes sense. From the two projectors i do have, the working one is single speed, while the other looks to be variable, the electronics have been removed. I have manually winding and using a drill (which as a concept was good) but light is a problem. I had tried using a good torch and a small 12v spot light, but they are no match for the bulb provided - i may try a g10 if i can, but i guess its more about focusing the beam.

i am pretty sure my 8mm film is silent, and now I know they may differ in FPS, that could easily explain the flicker issues. There are about 30 reels in my box - so i can at least view most of those - enough to decide what to do next.

do you think there is any chance of manually using a projector? Finding a good enough bulb and rotating at the right RPM ..... or is that scrap!?

Comment

Colin, I strongly advise you forget the projectors you have,and find a good eumig,bolex or elmo on e bay. There are plenty of them,and it shouldnt cost much.
                  Use the guide Gregory posted to be certain the gauge you have.

Comment

Colin why not get someone local to put these wee films onto a USB stick.It would be cheaper in the long run and a pro will add back ground music! Trev

Comment

Trevor - i did price up a local digital conversion and because its based on “ft of film” it was looking to be over £300est. This is far more than i’d anticipated.

David - thanks. There is nothing worse than unnecessarily struggling with the wrong kit. I found a few ‘confirmed as working’ P8M’s for ~£40. Is that the kind of thing?

But it’s good to know i can make my life a whole lot easier by scrapping the old projectors I do have.

i’ve certainly learnt a lot in the past few days - thank you all for your time, patience and advise.

Comment

Working...
                      X