Standard 8 sound features

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Standard 8 sound features

I have been collecting the above for as long as I can remember, and have a great number of titles. This last few years I have noticed that prints are becoming very thin on the ground , there must be loads out there , super 8 prints are everywhere and of course most titles are more appealing to collectors as they are more current releases . Anyway, maybe someone in the forum may have some titles they no longer need. If you are considering thinning down let me know.
    cheers John

I'm going to do another Criswell Predicts..

I predict more people will be collecting STD 8 movies in the year 2021!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cris.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	15870

Our mutual friend over the coast has well over 400 STD 8 feature films John but being a true collector of film he wont part with any.

I've only just started asking around for any SCOPE STD 8 sound films so keep your sprockets crossed.

Comment

I can understand your friend not wanting to part with any of his collection, hey 400 films is one big pile of film! I have one Scope colour feature 1956 ,It’s a wonderful world, lovely print with good colour. Part of the enjoyment of our hobby is the CHASE, then of course the thrill of running a newly acquired Print. In the meantime the search goes on!
      cheers John

Comment

I have many standard 8 silent features,if you are interested.

Comment

Hi, thanks for your kind offer but I am only interested in sound prints.
          regards John

Comment

I actually saw, many years ago, a collection of std 8 home movies on eBay Germany that were shot in scope. I wish I had bought them.

Comment

I know of only one std 8 sound 'scope feature, I MARRIED A WOMAN, with George Gobel and Diana Dors. Otherwise,there are 3 0r 4 Ken one reelers of scope Japanese monster movies, released sqweezed by mistake,or neglect, as well as two Film Office Disneys I discovered recently, BEARLY ASLEEP and HOOKED BEAR in b&w sound.

Comment

Didn't Derann have some rental only standard 8 scope features, perhaps they got sold off (or went missing) after the library closed or the rights ran out.

Comment

It's funny you mentioned regular 8 sound films. I have always wanted to go that route. I like the fact that with that much longer sound seperation there would be zero film chatter in the audio as compared to Super 8. I've seen some great looking standard 8 prints over the years. I think Joe Caruso has mentioned many times over the years that the Blackhawk standard 8 titles are usually much better prints than the Super 8 releases. I have a standard 8 sound cartoon from Castle films called "Termites from mars" with Woody Woodpecker that looks like 16mm!

Comment

The problem with std 8 sound films the quality of both sound and picture varies from stunning to terrible. I suppose this was early days of mag stripe and it was a bit hit and miss. However I have some features that as good or even better than Super 8 I always found Walton to be very consistent. Does anyone in the forum know how many std 8mm sound features were printed
                    during their heyday?

Comment

It is kind of a "lost format" to many people these days, over shadowed by super 8. Shorty is right! He sold me on STD 8 Blackhawks, they're definitely superior. Thanks Shorty!

Comment

The std 8 format is a very good one. Prints were always excellent and sharp and mostly with very good sound.
                        I say mostly for one reason, the best full feature we had was the Robert Stack/Raymond Burr western "Great day in the Morning". The print looked almost technicolour but unfortunately the sound was a bit muffled. We still have a number of STD 8's including some Walton L & H shorts, the 400ft Blackhawk L & H shorts Thicker than water and Midnight patrol, 2 x 400ft Fireball XL5s, 2 400ft Stingrays the 4x400 feature version of Distant Drums and the full feature of Winchester 73 and Bugles in the afternoon.
                        The one i would like to get hold of is the Derann feature of Psycho.

Comment

I have The Invisible man 1933 Claude Rains 4 x 400 feet there are bargains out there you just got to find them

Comment

Tom, have got Psycho along with the trailer, not for sale!

Comment

Cant blame you for that

Although not the same, we do have the super 8 400ft version and the promo.

Comment

Working...
                              X