Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentle Film Cleaning - Prep for Digitization

Hello Again,

Writing to ask folks thoughts regarding a good, safe cleaning process for 8/S8mm in anticipation of transfer. Nothing to abrasive, but looking to take care of excessive dirt/dust so I get the cleanest transfer possible for 60s/70s/80s film that hasn't been run through a projector in decades.

No vinegar syndrome, film in general in pretty good condition. Thanks in advance for any input as far as process, as well as any recommended cleaning agent.

-Duncan

Duncan

If the film does not have a magnetic track I recommend using Isopropyl Alcohol, also known as Isopropanol.

Put a small amount on a clean linen cloth, wrap it around the film and slowly use a rewinder to move the film through the cloth. Stop, now and then, to examine the cloth, if dirty, move to a clean part of the cloth. Do not let the cloth dry out, saturate as and when necessary.

Maurice

Comment

Maurice, what do you suggest for films with a magnetic strip?

Comment

Xander
        I have never had the need to clean a film with magnetic stripe. Most Super 8 do not need a clean.
        But, 16mm which I mainly collect, often do need a good clean.

Maurice

Comment

I know that the Dr Who prints from Africa returned some years ago had ultrasonic cleaning in a special bath, but that would be going too far for this.

Comment

Maurice, thanks for the feedback. Apologies for the delay getting back here, crazy few days.

Is it OK to clean with isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth? The kind of cloth that you would use to clean a computer screen? Or should it really need to be a linen cloth? The only reason I ask is because I think there's more consistency with a microfiber cloth than what I might be applying with a linen cloth. What kind of linen cloth do you use?

Thanks again.

-Duncan

Comment

Duncan
              I've never had a microfibre cloth so I can't answer that question.
              In addition to linen, I more often use a cotton cloth. For these I use handkerchiefs given to me as Christmas and Birthday presents!
              You only need to saturate a small section at a time, say two inches square, just enough to turn over on the film.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks Maurice!

-DT

Comment

Working...
                X