Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Belt problem with Bauer T81, is it possible to rejoin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belt problem with Bauer T81, is it possible to rejoin?

I have this Bauer T81 (silent, dual super 8mm and standard 8mm). The motor does not turn the wheel. I opened the back cover and found eveything was seen normal. When I turned on the motor, the main motor is turning but the drive belt stayed. So it seems to me the belt was too loose. You can see this video when I turned the motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eQ3W5sWf70

I knew Van Eck selling the exact same belt for cheap 17.50 EURO but with this COVID-19 situation it may take so much time to arrive in New Caledonia. And more over I don't have any guts to change the belt because I don't see the way to pull it out and place the new belt in, other than to release so many parts.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image_4074.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	16565

I do not see any crack on the belt nor goei (melting)..so it is still normal only it gets loose.

So for your experience is there any way that I cut the belt a bit and rejoined it using super glue or heat? If it is using glue what type of glue will keep the rubber super strong?

Any input guys. Thanks

I don't think it would be possible to cut and glue the old belt to make a tighter fit. And if so, certainly not super glue as it may work briefly but will certainly fail quickly.

I have had sucess in the past with placing rubber belts in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to shrink them a bit. It does not always work though. And besides getting that belt off is going to be a real pain in the a**!

I have a Bauer T171 whose belt (exactly like yours) was giving me trouble from being stretched when switching from silent to sound speed. In that case what I used was a product called "peg dope". That product is used by violin players so the tuning pegs on their instruments don't slip under the tension of the strings. It comes packaged like a woman's lipstick but is dark brown in color. I just used it like a crayon and put a layer of that on the belt and three years later it still grips perfectly and have not had a problem since. Perhaps that could help you out too since a belt change on a later Bauer (Italian Silma machine in German disguise) is not easy!

Comment

Originally posted by Joseph Banfield View Post
      I have had sucess in the past with placing rubber belts in a pot of boiling water for a few minutes to shrink them a bit. It does not always work though. And besides getting that belt off is going to be a real pain in the a**!
      Thanks Jos... am I in wrong understanding... wouldn't hot (water) make any rubber to become loose/melt?

I will tray to find peg dope as it seems this is a gripping issue

Comment

No, the rubber will not melt...no worries. But like I said that trick does not always work, which means the belt won't shrink slightly.

Comment

BTW, peg dope is available in any musical instrument store that sells violins, rosin, new strings, ect..

Comment

Working...
          X