Remembering Derek Simmonds Day 2020 and Derann 19th Sept

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remembering Derek Simmonds Day 2020 and Derann 19th Sept

Well friends its fast approaching our annual Remembering Derek Simmonds Day when we put on a programme of Super 8 films to remember Derek and his dedication to Super 8, with Derann Films bringing us all those titles and creating probably the largest slice of S8 film collecting history.

Plan your programme, take some snaps and pop them on here after the 19th September 2020.

Enjoy the show!

Bless you Derek and the family. Click image for larger version

Name:	Del.jpg
Views:	766
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	16652

This sounds like a great idea, Lee!

Derann changed film collecting for me: before I discovered them I was basically a limited putterer in silent film. It actually bothered me a little that they made no silents, but maybe a few weeks later I gave up and got a sound machine.

-life has not been quite the same ever since!

Comment

Having been oblivious to Derann Film Services once I moved on to VHS then DVD and Bluray I am looking forward to September 19th! I now know well of Derek's great contribution and dedication to Super 8 excellence since re-joining the Hobby. The 19th will be a Derann night on my screen for sure. Thanks! Lee for reminding us of this incredible man and his enduring gifts
      produced for us. Thank goodness there are people like Steve Osborne keeping Super 8 alive
      for us. But the 19th is Derann Day!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200912-091233.png
Views:	662
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	16699

Comment

Well the UK Karaoke Virus rules have changed today so we will be welcoming four masked friends to our Derann Film evening making a total of the allowed 6 YAY! It will be nice to see people enjoying a few films here again and we have been busy looking thru the collection planning the show for this Saturday.
          I'm starting with some early Standard 8 sound film releases from the 60's and travelling thru the decades to represent the titles which I feel were the most loved and screened regularly.

Will be ending with the first overdue audience screening of Cinema in Miniature 2, my new S8 movie to pick up where my first effort left off.
          Looking forward to the show very much and if you have one remember to wear your Derann tie and Derann badge.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSC05090.JPG Views:	0 Size:	22.6 KB ID:	16805

Comment

Ready for tomorrow's tribute to Derek Simmons show.

Name:	IMG_20200918_202031.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	17012

Comment

Nice choice Dom We switch on today at 4pm looking forward to it. 1960s std 8, super 8 and finishing with some Scope. Photos will follow

Comment

Remembering Derek Simmonds Day

Name:	Derann Catalogue 171.jpg
Views:	593
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	17070

Name:	Derann Catalogue pg 1   172.jpg
Views:	604
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	17069

Name:	Derann Catalogue pg 3   174.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	194.0 KB
ID:	17071

Comment

My Derek Simmonds day turned out to be a bit of a Carry On, at least 2 of the extracts. Details in "What 8mm films did I watch last night".

Comment

Name:	image_4224.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	17125 FIRST LOGO

Well what a carry on... We sure had some fun at our 2 hour show.

Standard 8 sound programme: Derann A Suggestion for your future programme, Pathe news review of the 60's, Night of the big heat 200ft. All very early releases.

Super 8 Sound: Universal News 1947, Dracula A.D 1972 making of, Captain Marvel inc Trailer, T&J Mouse in Manhatton, Raise the Titanic with my film of the UK locations, Dracula Prince of Darkness.

S8 Scope: Trailers Ben Hur Gigi Slipper and the Rose, Take it from the Top, Goodwill To Men.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4226.jpg Views:	6 Size:	62.2 KB ID:	17127 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4225.jpg Views:	6 Size:	48.1 KB ID:	17126
                    Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4228.jpg Views:	3 Size:	56.5 KB ID:	17129 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4229.jpg Views:	3 Size:	75.4 KB ID:	17130 Click image for larger version  Name:	image_4230.jpg Views:	3 Size:	56.7 KB ID:	17131 Click image for larger version  Name:	DRscope 2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.1 KB ID:	17132

We ended with a bit of video filmed at a Christmas open day with Derek looking at my camera asking ' Lee have you put a tape in this time' and the final day of trading.

A good time was had by all!
                    Attached Files

Comment

Great, lee ! The tribute to Derek will be extented, here in Brussels since I could only screen yesterday the shorts. The Wizard Of Oz will be for tonight. So, last night, I started with The Jon, a (probably British) curious short (30m/100 ft) without dialogue : a man is trapped in a toilet cabin, then an early Pathe Newr Reel, there is a soundstrip but no sound on (another task for my to-do list) since the film is from the silent era (another aspect of what Derann releaed), after that Free Fall Parachuting and another Pathe News Reel (there is a short appearance of Patrick Macnee and Diana Rigg, recently gone). I put the scope accessories on my ST 180 projector (I choosed this machine since it's my first sound projector and, of course, I would not have been a fan of Derann films without a sound projector ; the ST 180 is now upgraded with a 1.0 lens and a two blade shutter, which makes it a great machine to use) and projected Volcanic Violence and a documentary about the Isle Of White. It's still a little miracle for me to be able to project cinemascope films on super 8. I would never had dream to have one day the required equipment when I started with home movies projections.

Comment

My honor to Derek will be the kind talks over the phone, and his unfailing generosity and patience. I salute you dear friend. Shorty

Comment

I ran The Godfather super 8mm sound full length abit faded but always a good film to watch

Comment

As announced, The Wizard Of Oz was screened last night. Wonderful moment with this film. It was a good idea, Lee, to remember Derek and Derann through projections, thanks.

Comment

Yes indeed. Hard to believe they will have been closed 10 years in 2021, Sept 11th I seem to remember and my goodness time passes so quickly since that final open day. Memories were made of this...

Name:	LM-DSCF2703.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	17181

Comment

Working...
                              X