Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projector bulbs ? Any expert advice please ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Projector bulbs ? Any expert advice please ?

Hoping someone can help
    Apologies if this is an obvious question - I am not a Cine expert
    I've just brought my Prinz Magnon Super IQ Dual Format 8mm Cine Projector down from the attic for the first time in 15 years
    I fed a reel in - It seemed to be running sluggishly - but for brief moment I had an image projecting onto my dining room wall...
    ...but then the bulb blew - since then the projector has speeded up - but obvioulsy not getting an image now
    Can anybody tell me what the correct replacement bulb should be and where would the best place to buy one either online or in London ?
    The bulb that blew says : Philips GER 12V 100W HO 6834 FO - is this the best one to try and find a replacement for ? or are there alternatives ?
    Any advice on the best way to get a replacement gratefully received
    Thanks
    Peter

Hi Peter,

This is your lucky day! It seems that "6834" is the Philips number for our old friend: ANSI code EFP.

https://www.lighting.philips.com/api...AA.PROF.FP.pdf

These are extremely common. I have three projectors that use this one and I buy them a bunch at a time because they are cheap.

Do some googling of places near you that sell EFP, and I'm sure you will find something. I favor Osrams, but I don't think you can go too wrong with other name brands either.

The nice thing about bulbs like this is they are still used in modern equipment like microscopes and dental illumination, and that keeps the cost down a lot better than a few people using 40 year old projectors.

Comment

Peter
      This lamp is known as an A1/231 in the UK. Here is an eBay link:-
      https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Osram-12v...-/391595712964

Maurice

Comment

Thanks very much Steve Steve Klare and Maurice @maurice for your super-fast and super-helpful replies
        Have just ordered the Osram A1/231 on your advice
        What a fantastic Forum
        Will definitely be back to check the discussions
        Can't wait to get my projector working properly again - have just unearthed a box of family Cine reels going back 60 years
        Thanks again
        Peter

Comment

Figured this might be a good place to ask a very amateur bulb-related question specific to the Prinz Magnon Super IQ: how do you turn the bulb on? My problem is that I just bought one of these projectors to go through old home movies and it seems to work EXCEPT for the bulb not turning on. Is there a switch for this that I am missing? I have changed the bulb for a new one but I can't get it to turn on. Is it supposed to come on automatically when you plug the projector in to the mains?

Thanks in advance for any advice - I have the read manual but am none the wiser.

Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Cobb View Post
            Is it supposed to come on automatically when you plug the projector in to the mains?
            No, never. I don't know your projector but I think the bulb will light on when you turn the selector to L (as L is for light).

Comment

The main control knob has five positions.
              Starting extreme left and progressing clockwise you have:
              L - F - OFF - R - L.
              Lamp - Forward - Off - Reverse - Lamp.
              It may be that the lamp holder has corrosion which prevents the lamp from working.
              Prinz Magnon Super IQ 8mm Cine Film Projector - Boxed & Working | eBay

Comment

Excellent responses! Lamp comes on when knob turned to L so I am sorted. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Pleased we were of help.

Comment

Working...
                  X