Eumig 905 GL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig 905 GL

A friend of mine noticed a Eumig 905 GL at our local animal sanctuary shop and brought it to my attention. All it needs is a new bulb. Having used Sankyo in the past can anyone give me some reviews or advice about this particular model and maybe provide a download of the manual. And are bulbs and spares (belts etc) readily available. Seems all I have to give them is a donation. Sounds too good to pass up !

Hi Allan
    personally I dont think it's one of Eumig's better machines, it has the awful twin coaxial design and the claw pulls the film through the machine, your better off with your Sankyo or find a Eumig 932 or 936 that has the better designed reel set up, I did own a 905 GL btw but after one use gave it away,Mark

Comment

I would say that this model is not up to the standard expected from Eumig.
      The spool arrangement is ridiculous with its coaxial spindle design, getting the film onto the take-up spool is not very easy, even with a self-threading spool.
      There is no top sprocket which means that a lot of film is pulled in by the claw. Not an ideal situation.
      The lamp used is the A1/231 EFP, 100w, 12v.
      I can't recommend this model.

Maurice

Comment

Errrr,.....does anybody have something good to say about this model ? I have several 8mm films to sell and am only going to use it to check the condition of them. I have a couple of old short sound film I can run through beforehand so if they're chewed up will not attempt to run through the good stuff. Anyway apart from that all I have to do is give a donation of e20 so I won't break the bank.

Comment

Thanks so far for the input. Unfortunely I sold my Sankyo 700 several years ago (now to my dismay). I always held Eumig with high regard but was unaware of the cons of these machines.

Comment

Allan
            Eumig were excellent manufacturers, but things went seriously wrong with the S905GL and its brothers with their mode of spool retention.
            However, if you only require the projector for a temporary measure, and not keep it for your collection, I would say that it will do what you want it to do.
            But, before you buy it, make sure that it still has its coaxial removable spindle. (It sits over the main spindle as the two spools fit concentrically).
            I assume the cost of e20 is 20 Euros

Maurice

Comment

What do you mean Maurice when you say coaxial spindle design as opposed to the normal. Pardon my ignorance !

Comment

Allan
                There are two spools virtually on one spindle, but each is going at a different speed. One is moving as it's being pulled off its spool. The other spool is being driven for the take-up.
                If you think of the above, it's impossible isn't it?
                So, There is a second rotating spindle over the inner spindle. Each connected to their spools.
                The extra spindle is removable to allow one spool to be mounted, then added for the mounting of the second spool.
                This is why it's imperative that this part is not missing, otherwise it won't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnTPKmb7xb4

Maurice

Comment

Yes, it is rather like (but IIRC not exactly like) the slip on sleeve for the feed spools on dual gauge, standard 8 and super 8, projectors.

Comment

Maurice thank you for the you tube link which I found helpful (along with how to change a worm gear in this projector, hopefully not needed) ! Anyway I pick it up next Sunday. The lady in question was excellent saying I could pick it up , try it out at home and bring it back if its not suitable. Will report on the progress (the outer spindle is indeed on the projector so thanks for pointing that out).

Comment

Allan
                      I'm glad to be of help. Hope all goes well.

Maurice

Comment

The coaxial reel design of the 900 thru 929 series was probably Eumig's worst design blunder. The film path ahead of the gate is tortuous, the film having to be displaced sideways over a series of tiny offset rollers. And there is no top sprocket, so the jerking of the intermittent claw is absorbed by a flapping cantilevered flat spring with a tiny roller on the end. Then when the film finally emerges to the take up spool you have a devil of a time getting down to the slot in the inner take up spool to attach the film, unless of course you are lucky enough for the film to self attach to the rotating spool. Then when it comes time to rewind, the film has to make a 360 degree turn over a lifted up roller, which puts an extra load on the motor,
                        All this complexity and cost to what advantage? Can anyone name a single virtue of this design?
                        I had a 926GL Stereo for many years, before I upgraded to the superb 938 stereo. The 926GL was a great performer when new, rock steady projection and awesome stereo sound. But that coaxial reel system drove me crazy. Having said that, these 900 series Eumig's thread flawlessly and (surprisingly) never scratch a single frame of film. So I thing Allan should be just fine for what he wants to do with his 905GL

Comment

Perhaps they thought they could get away with that design after the Mk 501 - 610 silent projectors, which though a straight through design suffered from unsteady picture half way through 400ft spools.

Comment

Exactly the same problem on the 900 series coaxial reel projectors. If you load up a 600ft reel, the film will be rock steady for the first 400ft and then get progressively more unsteady for the last 200ft, when the film tension from the feed spool is rapidly increasing as the diameter of the film gets smaller. With all these machines its best to use the largest core diameter spools that you can find in order to reduce input film tension.
                            Just a nasty design all round!

Comment

Maybe Eumig thought they reinvented the wheel to sell the machines, different design meant new or old customers trying the latest model, but you soon work out how bad they are, definitely not a game changer, it came out near the end of the golden era so wonder how many unsatisfied customers they had, you see a lot about in pretty much new looking order too, I guess even the best manufacturers get it wrong from time to time, Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X