Bell and Howell 535H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell and Howell 535H

Shortly after joining the RAF in 73 I carried over my hobby of projection to the local Airmen's and Sergeants messes showing various product. Audio visual product was supplied by the Services Kinema Corporation at the time and the only projector we had available at the time was the old Debrie grey models with the messy oil pump (so many drips per minute). Rugged machines but not very compact for transportation. I had the smart idea of using a B & H 535H (a slight variation of the 535 but for UK market). This particular projector was advertised in Movie Maker magazine and was pretty good for its price range. For the Debrie 'scope presentation was accomplished by a heavy and bulky Ross Expadascope lens and totally unsuitable. The problems started when the B & H started playing up due to severe wow on the two floating rollers before and after the sound drum. After various attempts by local photographic suppliers, the only avenue left to solve the problem was to take it to B&H at Alperton who quickly solved the problem. Soon after, the Services gradually phased out the Debries and replaced them with Elf and we were supplied with a new RM1 complete with scope bracket and Kowa 8z anamorphic. Point am trying to make is that the sound drum configuration on the Elf was 100 more reliable than the floating roller system on the B&H. What are your opinions ?

Sorry, above should be in 16mm section.

Comment

Allan

It's a question of maintenance. Properly maintained a Bell & Howell will give excellent sound, I much prefer a Bell & Howell with its film meeting three sprockets, as apposed to the Elf's two.

With an Elf, a film has to be in good condition to keep its bottom loop as a loop. Any slight problem and the auto loop former will operate. Unfortunately in the Elf this is not timed to the claw operation and the latter can cause film damage.

The Bell & Howell mechanism is adjusted for a loop former to operate when its claw is withdrawn.

I also have a grey Debrie that I love, but I am sure it's getting heavier as time goes by.

Maurice

Comment

Maurice. Have used several Bell and Howells with no problem at all but the problem with the sound drum rollers was very frustrating, and yes their 3 tooth shuttle was very kind to film. Regarding the Elf's, when I asked the military technical dept the reason they were given the supply contract was because of their modular construction. Spare parts were virtually plug out, plug in and their Eiki professional xenon machines were second to none.

Allan

Comment

Allan
          I referred to the rotating toothed sprockets.
          However, you used the expression "shuttle" so I assume you are referring to the claws.
          Yes, Bell & Howell had three claws. whereas the Elfs had only two claws.

Maurice

Comment

Maurice.

Correct. Claws is what I meant . B & H referred to it in their promotional handout as the three tooth shuttle.

Allan

​​

Comment

Working...
            X