Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Scope Bracket

Hello,

I have a 16mm scope lens, that I think will work well enough on my Elmo-ST 600. I am aware of the brackets I can purchase from The Reel Image, which is something I am considering. There are also homemade options I have seen that people use for their scope lenses. As far as building a mount/stand for a scope lens, what are your suggestions? I know it would obviously be a cheap fix to build one myself, I'm just trying to see what the best plan would be.

-Greg

Hi Greg,

The homemade scope lens bracket is a Super-8 artform! Some people cut cardboard boxes to the right profile, others cradle the anamorphic in bags of rice on piles of books. I built an elaborate wooden platform that kept the machine aligned with the lens and tilted both together. This was almost too good: I put off replacing it for years!

I imagine if you built some structure to align the lens properly, a set of automotive radiator hose clamps would be good to hold it in place.

Last time I was in Germany I came home with two real brackets: life is good!

Comment

Seems way too complicated......

👹

Comment

Naaaaaa!!!

I was there anyway! The brackets were just a happy side-effect!😉

Comment

Always a fun side of our obsession um I mean hobby.

PROJECTS

Get yourself a Tripod lens ring off ebay around £7 upwards but check the inner diameter to fit.

A small right angle of aluminium to attach it to the projector with suitable bolts.

45 years ago or so I used to make my own brackets by hand with a drill and files, but today it's much easier as the tripod lens mounts are professionally made from metal.

I've just finished one to attach a lens to my S8 cine camera for Scope filming. Including a base plate to mount camera and lens £18

Good fun project for winter.
          Last edited by Lee Mannering; October 26, 2020, 03:20 AM.

Comment

Hi Greg,

I have the scope bracket from "The Reel Image" (made by Van-Eck). The great thing about this is it screws directly to the front of the Elmo projector and this makes alignment between the scope lens and the primary lens quick and easy. I had tried a free standing scope holder (not attached to the projector), and it was a real pain to get it aligned each and every time. I use an Eiki 16mm scope lens on my Elmo ST-1200 and it works great with the bracket from The Reel Image.....

Comment

Well, it wasn't really that complicated.

Simply construct a cradle relative to zoom lens height so that the middle of the scope lens aligns with the primary flat zoom lens. Slide by push or pull method the cradle in front or away from the projector. Some customizing work can be performed to help make alignment more precise. Anyone with general wood working knowledge should be able to help you see through it. I've been using this method for a very long time and it works superb. Although I didn't ask to mention his name, Gary Sloan has a pair of these as well from a previous trade deal. You may have seen these at Cinesea with his 16mm machines.

These are the Isco Optics 2X scope lenses for 35mm projectors and are quite large for physical size so be certain to have enough counter space in front of the projector to support it. It's not the weight but the size that you need the extra room for.......

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. It definitely seems that there are many routes I can take.

Comment

So I've done a pretty crude sketch, to build something similar to what Chip posted. It is possible for me to get the basic pieces of wood cut at Home Depot or another hardware store to get going. My only question, is what tool would be necessary to get the cradle portion drilled in? Is there somewhere I could go, where I could get this done fairly easily? If not, what would be the best tool to get? I'm thinking something similar to a Dremel, but not sure.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello

In the 60`s a group of mates used to hire feature films and pass them around between ourselves [relying on the arrival of the film several days in advance of the hire date].
                    So the scenario was same film, different projectors, different venues.
                    Our solution to using a scope lens ----- a laboratory retort stand---- a universal fit!

P.S. not quite within the rental agreement but I`ll not tell if you`ll not tell

CHEERS TOM

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Dennis View Post

Our solution to using a scope lens ----- a laboratory retort stand---- a universal fit!

P.S. not quite within the rental agreement but I`ll not tell if you`ll not tell

CHEERS TOM

That's not a bad idea either, Tom!

Comment

Here are some pictures of a home made bracket that I use....I did not make it myself but got it from a local collector some years ago...it allows me to keep the scope lens on the projector and just swing it in place when needed, I only have to adjust the masking of the screen.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7512.jpg Views:	0 Size:	87.2 KB ID:	19997 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7509.jpg Views:	0 Size:	72.8 KB ID:	19998 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7511.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.9 KB ID:	19999 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7510.jpg Views:	0 Size:	69.8 KB ID:	20000

Comment

Working...
                        X