Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY Longplay Unit

Hi,

Since the EIKI longplay units seem to be quite rare on eBay and also expensive, has anyone built a DIY version recently?

I know I have seen videos of Chip's from the old forum. What I am thinking is I would need some type of belt driven motor, for take up. I'm curious about how to test and replicate proper speed for tension.

My build idea would be similar to the EIKI unit, as I would want this to be relatively portable. Feed reel on one side and take up on the other. Rewind is not of major concern, as I could use manual rewinds.

I just wanted to pick everyone's brain regarding some build ideas.

Thanks!

-Greg

Use a 16mm machine at silent speed which equals super 8 at 24FPS any difference will be handled by take up belt/clutch

it will have all that you need for basic operations

you will need brass adapters for the take up and supply arms for the super 8 reels

there will be some configuration required to come from film exiting the super 8 machine and getting to the 16mm take up arm but Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out

Comment

Originally posted by Chip Gelmini View Post
      Use a 16mm machine at silent speed which equals super 8 at 24FPS any difference will be handled by take up belt/clutch

it will have all that you need for basic operations

you will need brass adapters for the take up and supply arms for the super 8 reels

there will be some configuration required to come from film exiting the super 8 machine and getting to the 16mm take up arm but Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out

Thanks Chip! I also had thoughts to do something with some type of motor, by building something. I've seen the videos you have posted of a "towerized" setup, with a belt driven motor. What type of motor did you use for that? Essentially I would like to create something dual gauge usage, and have a level of portability, similar to the EIKI longplay units.

Comment

Christie 35mm platter motor from model AW3

To run the DC motor a separate DC speed control is added and at 10% speed equals super eight payout

What I built is not portable but somethings should be able to be designed to suit your needs which is why I'm recommending a 16 mm projector it is everything you need and is very portable

you will have to do some configuration to customize it which might of course be a head scratcher but I know you can figure it out and if you start a project and shoot pictures of it and send pictures to me I'm sure I can give you pro bonum advice to help you along the way

Comment

Actually I did just that to my GS. I was going to post some pictures. Do you have a GS as it will only work for belt driven takeup.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Arpin View Post
            Actually I did just that to my GS. I was going to post some pictures. Do you have a GS as it will only work for belt driven takeup.
            Unfortunately just an ST-600

Comment

Working...
            X