Stereo Print On Mono Projector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stereo Print On Mono Projector

Would a stereo print on a mono only projector be OK?
    I appreciate that the stereo effect would be missing, but will the sound be acceptable?

Maurice

Yes, it will sound fine.

Comment

It almost always works fine, with a few exceptions. Every so often you get a stereo print where the channel separation is basically complete and you run into problems.

One I'm thinking of is "Toot, Whistle, Plunk and Boom". There is a sequence with four prehistoric musicians playing together, one by one, side by side across the screen.

On a stereo machine, their music moves fully left, center left, center right and fully right.
      On a monaural machine the sound is loud, softer, softer still and finally dead quiet!

There is no head for track 2 sound, so the right-hand channel has no chance.

Also, on Derann's print of Fantasia 2000, Bette Midler hosts the introduction to the next section. There is music, probably in both channels, but Bette herself is mostly to the right. You can still hear her with a monaural machine, but she's basically mumbling!

Comment

Thankfully the sound masters for these will be in the Dolby stereo format where all the main dialogue is placed centrally so is of equal level on both tracks, so only part of the music and effects track will be on the un-played track.The rear channel may even be better represented as it is out-of-phase so will cancel out on 2 track mono machines.

Derann always advertised that their stereo releases could be played on mono machines.

Comment

To run a print correctly the stereo print would need to be run in stereo on a machine with a stereo amp(or external amp), or played back on a twin track one with the two channels combined in to mono. I can't remember if Derann produced mono versions (I think they did?), but I did used to wince when Derann would say its okay to play back a stereo print on a mono (single track) machine. The point of a mono print is that it reproduces correctly in that format.

Even though I have a multi channel sound system (mainly for digital sources), I actually play back the stereo prints I have in combined mono as it sounds better over all, favouring clarity over effect.

Comment

Yes, mostly at least, Derann did produce mono prints and at a lower price. I think for a while some were stereo only.

Comment

It should be o.k. for most films. Much depends on the original recoding. ken Finch.

Comment

Working...
              X