Thanks To David Baker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thanks To David Baker

I wish, and I think other members will join me, to thank David Baker for his very bold move to produce an edited 28 minute version of Jurassic Park.

Those who are lucky to have a copy already have expressed their delight at such a superb film. I was about to order a copy when it was announced that a UK dealer (?) would be distributing copies so that costs might be reduced by the savings on possible import charges.

However, it was finally announced that prints would be despatched from the US with a stripe but would need to have its sound added in the UK. So, I took the decision on Monday 9 November to order a complete copy directly from David. Within 24 hours I had received his confirmation which I followed up by making a payment of US$346 which cost me GBP£274.03.

So once again, my thanks to David for producing a film which will be of immense entertainment value.

Maurice

I totally agree Maurice; I too ordered my print on that day too, so it's good that orders are still coming in. I was encouraged by the reports I received from another owner saying how stunning the print was. Rather than being like others who were adamant about ordering a print, then fussed around rather than keeping to their word and ordering, I was keen not only to own a print but also support David's venture instead of just endlessly discussing here. Well said Maurice.

I hope David will release more, with ideas for titles in the other thread from those who are serious supporters (well done!) and will actually purchase!

Comment

Maurice and Simon,
      You will be very happy with the prints of the JP digest. I have a copy and it is excellent...I hope others will order a copy too and help support this great effort by David and his team.

Comment

I think any venture to produce new super 8 prints is great for the hobby and should be applauded. However, at an eye watering £274 for a 29 minute cutdown you need pretty deep wallets to be able to afford it. Would you know why the cost is so high? Is it caused by the amount of travel that the print has to undergo before it is finished or other factors. At least I assume it comes in a nice display box.

Comment

I think it’s worth every penny, I left the world of film collecting a couple of years ago through my disappointment from buying used prints at a very high price that were on the whole not very good. I kept the prints that were in good condition and sold the rest usually for less than I paid for them. To be able to buy a brand new print of this quality I think is fantastic and I think David has delivered on what he promised. I really hope he produces some more as their is nothing nicer than running a brand new print not worrying about colour fade, scratches and wobbly sound.

Comment

We are blessed to have brand new S8 prints on offer particularly to such a outstanding standard from Reel Image and of course dear David also dedicated and full enthusiasm for our beloved format.

As per my initial review upon delivery I was blown away with the editing, the print and sound quality harping back to the old days. In my collection it sits on a special shelf for what I call 'signature prints' along side many of the Reel Image releases which of course are new prints not well circulated scratched pink ones.

With many new films on offer and promises of more now is the time to support the efforts of those making huge investments to make it all happen. Count me in and as per the last 50+ years I save a little each week to buy. Hard to break a childhood habit of a lifetime

Comment

For me, it's value above cost; the value of owning new excellent titles on new Super 8 prints outweighs the cost for me. But, at current camera film costs, 600' of Super 8 would equate to £600 and that doesn't include processing or striping!
              Last edited by Simon McConway; November 12, 2020, 04:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Simon McConway View Post
                .....at current camera film costs, 600' of Super 8 would equate to £600 and that doesn't include processing or striping!....
                Simon
                Or the postage!
                David's price also includes Priority Mail International.

Maurice

Comment

Yes we forget that, when Derann 600ft films were £55, 50ft of Kodachrome sound film was £7.50. That would make 600ft £90. Inflation and memory don't often agree with each other.

Comment

Working...
                  X