Sankyo 2000h blowing lamps!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo 2000h blowing lamps!

Hey there - A Sankyo 2000h I have is blowing the EFP lamps, in a day or two or mere hours of use. Anyone encounter this yet? Everything looks ok, voltage, etc. I had some extra bulbs so fed a few in, but now, I'm putting this unit aside lol and looking for advice and researching what may be up. Maybe because the lamps are old... they burn out? Or something inside is causing havoc. Thanks for your thoughts!

A few things could be causing this to happen. The lamps may have been handled and there are oils on the bulbs. The lamps could also be of the wrong voltage, but then again you did indicate you were using the proper EFP bulbs. Those are 100 watts and 12 volts. Older lamps that have been stored properly, and are new/old stock usually perform like a brand new one. The transformer in your unit is probably OK but that could also be the cause if it's defective. If it was me I'd purchase a brand new EFP bulb, and clean all contacts, and the bulb adapter itself. If none of this works then you will need to investigate further. The good thing about this model is thousands were produced so are readily available on sites like eBay.

Comment

Actually, I just thought all EFP's were the same; there could be different types of EFP's lol? And Shane, this is John, the guy with piles of projectors and movies; i.e. "the hoarder" heehee!
      Last edited by John Pierson; January 08, 2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

John

Is this projector a new purchase, or have you had a long time? If the latter, has this problem recently started? If so, it could be the lamp holder has developed internal problems with its contacts such as arcing due to corrosion. A new lamp holder might be the answer.

Most EFP (A1/231) are obviously the same, but I always use an Osram Xenophot. Don't buy an unknown make. Most respected are Osram, Philips and GE.

https://www.stagedepot.co.uk/lightin...-100w-12v-lamp

Maurice

Comment

One thing that could be happening here is the envelope is supposed to be a sealed vessel: nothing inside that can react with the tungsten filament when it gets hot. If you have the slightest leak, over the long term you will get oxygen in there so when the filament is hot it will oxidize: literally burn up.

I agree: The real experiment would be to start with a brand new lamp. EFPs are cheap: I get them for something like $7 a pop.

Another thing to be sure of is that there is a stream of cooling air across the bulb: if there wasn't, that could be pretty deadly
          Last edited by Steve Klare; January 08, 2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

John you might try measuring the voltage into the socket with a multimeter. Also check that the proper input voltage is set on the back cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sankyo2000h-voltage.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	2080
            Last edited by Janice Glesser; January 08, 2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

All awesome tips, thanks! The "plug" (I don't know the right terms) for the lamp inside gets real hot, so the tip about that piece(s) having issues might be the case, unless that always gets super hot lol and is standard behavior. I haven't had it that long, and haven't used it much, until recently. I actually have a couple other 2000h's and I"m going to use a different one tonight to see how that behaves. I do seem to think this started after one of the lamps blew the 1st time; it didn't come out easy, maybe the lamp plug lol got damaged. The one thing I would fail horribly at and not really know how to do it, or what I'm even looking at or for, is measuring the voltage. That's above my current set of knowledge; I don't think I've ever measured the voltage of ... anything lol!! I could buy a tool to do so though, sounds helpful in the long run! Thanks you all are awesome!

Comment

[QUOTE=John Pierson;n2077 I do seem to think this started after one of the lamps blew the 1st time; it didn't come out easy, maybe the lamp plug lol got damaged./QUOTE]

I think this could be the problem as I mentioned above. The lamp holder contacts should let the lamp come out with a gentle pull. John's comment about it not coming out easy does seem to confirm that the lamp holder has had its day and needs replacing.

I had the same trouble with a 16mm Bell & Howell TQIII blowing its A1/258 lamps, three relatively expensive lamps all blowing within an hour. This was traced to the lamp holder with faulty contact pins which were causing arcing. A new lamp holder solved the problem.

Maurice

Comment

Thanks Maurice and friends! I'll start there.

Comment

Hi John. I've a couple of these projectors and have never had a problem. You posted that the bulbs blew after a while or did they just stop working? The connecting pins on these bulbs can suffer from a build up of oxide which results in the bulb not working. As you've tried several new ones then it can't be that. The same though could apply to the contacts on the bulb holder. You posted that it got hot and was difficult to remove which it shouldn't be. As already suggested, that could be the problem assuming that the mains voltage selector is correctly set.

Comment

I almost always have bad luck with NOS lamps regardless of the brand/type. Most will become darkened then went to heaven within 1-2 hours, maybe minutes.
                      My general rule of thumb: better use brand new lamp (even no-name ones) than the NOS reputable brand ones.

Comment

Originally posted by John Pierson View Post
                        Actually, I just thought all EFP's were the same; there could be different types of EFP's lol? And Shane, this is John, the guy with piles of projectors and movies; i.e. "the hoarder" heehee!
                        LOL, Hi John good to hear from you other than via email. Lot's of good advice here and hopefully you can figure this out. I've had to replace the lamp sockets on several projectors in the past. They were either extremely corroded or not working at all. On one of the projectors I was able to spray contact cleaner inside the lamp socket, and that solved the problem.

Comment

John,
                          Here are a few photos showing the lamp socket, and where it connects to the transformer (see below). The socket has two leads that slide onto two posts on the transformer in the rear of the projector. I'm including a link where you can purchase a new universal socket that works in this machine. They are easy to find online, and this one cost $2.65.
                          https://www.1000bulbs.com/product/137296/SOCK-50275799.html
                          The wires snake their way through from the front of the machine to the back where they connect to the transformer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-08 at 9.jpg Views:	0 Size:	112.5 KB ID:	2108
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot 2020-01-.jpg Views:	0 Size:	153.1 KB ID:	2109

Comment

Hey Everyone; I just got online and see all the new helpful tips; I so appreciate them! I think everyone is spot-on here; I'm going to focus on that lamp socket (where the pins plug into) 1st, as it gets very hot, and if it's not supposed to, well, I gotta do something about that 1st! I don't want to cannibalize my working Sankyo's, so will look for a lamp socket part online. If you have a link to one, link me! I haven't even searched yet but assuming I can find one on eBay or online. Thanks again for everyone's help! This is a fun board of really cool and helpful people : )

Edit: Oh wait, Shane supplied me a link; I'm good!
                            Last edited by John Pierson; January 09, 2020, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X