Eumig 800 series focusing an switch problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig 800 series focusing an switch problems

I have two Eumig machines, the 807D and 802, have other members experienced problems with Eumig’s focusing design? I refer to the internal disc with a spirally cut groove which receives the small peg on the side of the lens barrel. I find with both machines when focusing and turning the focusing knob that they have a tendency to jump, frequently, when approaching sharp focus and you have to fiddle about to try and sharpness. I have to say that it appears to be not the greatest design.

Additionally, both machines have had their on/off switches fail at the back of the machine and remain in the on position. Presumably, these have failed through use. I have looked in vain for spares for this part but cannot find anything online.

If any members can provide solutions to these problems it would be much appreciated.

Phil, these pin and cam focussing designs are horrible, the Elmo's are'nt much better. Best solution is to do away with the pin on the lens and just do the focussing by rotating the lens in the lens holder along with some back and fore sliding of the lens. The cam/focussing knob's only purpse then becomes to supply sideways spring pressure to align the lens against the v-grooves in the chassis. Sounds hokey, I know, but it's much easier to get really sharp focus that will stay put.
    Best focussing system is the old spiral grooved lens barrel with the spring loaded ball ( Bolex 18-5) design, which is very precise and stable.

Comment

Phil
      Lens:- These projectors are now very old. There may be dirt or dust in the lens barrel. Remove the lens and give an all round clean.
      On/Off Switches:- Neither has an on/off switch. I assume you are referring to the red recording key.

Maurice

Comment

I have always said that the Eumig 800 series were not so well designed and certainly a downgrade from the early 700 series that used a threaded lens like any good projector should have, in addition to several other features that were removed when the 800 series was introduced. Most notably the elimination of the hum-free vacuum tube amp, the retractable pressure pads on the sound heads and the fully adjustable lamp positioning levers, just to mention a few.

Comment

Hello Phil. I got my first 807D christmas 1972 when they first landed in the uk it's still working and it looks younger than I do.

The first 800 range had a simpler focus design and can be spotted by not having a main on off switch.

The lens focus system was changed on the mk 2 versions from a pin locator into a slot on the lens to the spiral you mention. Back then in the cine magazines people were asking for more accurate fine focus but unless the lens side and spiral are kept correctly lubricated it will fail. particularly if the plastic pin on your lens has been strained.

Remove the lens and put some high temperature grease on the 2 metal mounts the lens sits on. Pop a little on the white spiral . At the end of the day it's all about maintaining a machine :-)

If your lens pin is worn you need another good lens. Hope it helps.

Comment

I agree with Paul, once you own a Bolex 18-5 Series machine, everything else sucks LOL. It's the best focusing, and most stable, once dialed in, I've ever used! I've owned my fair share of 8mm and Super 8 projectors, and was always tired of trying to fiddle with the focus. Many of the machines I owned, Elmo, Sankyo, Bell & Howell, etc always seemed to have focus drift.

Comment

I would like to thank you all for your helpful replies. I will take on board your advice and hope it helps the situation. Again many thanks

Comment

I recently bought an 804 D 2 track . The focus knob would do nothing when I turned it , so I would focus my films by turning the lens by hand . Today as i was taking out the lens to clean it I saw what the problem was . The lens was put the other way in so the small peg was facing opposite the focus knob.

It's working now but the system does suck .

Comment

I have yet to come across any of these snail cam focusing systems, from any manufacturer, which does not exhibit excessive backlash, although I will say that Eumig did a much better job in this regard on their 900 series machines.

Comment

the eumig lenses have generally a peg in one side and a groove on the other. that way they can be used for both focussing systems they used the the 600 and 800 series. one is with the snail cam and the other with a stud on a disc. both experience drift.

Comment

Working...
                    X