No announcement yet.

Cement Splices vs Tape Splices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thank you Mark, it sounds an interesting joiner.

Maurice

Comment

The Federation of Australian Movie Makers most Famous Super 8 Film Maker, Peter Noris who won numerous awards, used CEMENT.
      myself I use Fuji, Kodak and Agfa Splicing Tape

Comment

When I started using the Agfa splicer I was amazed how quickly you can do a mono track splice. In just two motions of the lever, it cuts, it peels and rolls the splice around the film for you, the last part being the release of the film from the splicer. Whoever came up with this auto system at Agfa, really did a amazing job. I used to do cement splices, until a couple gave way, during striping operation with the Rexette way back in the 1970s. From that day on, tape splices were it for me. One other thing with tape, is you can peel the splice away if you want to join the film onto different reels without losing any frames as once the cut is made you don't need to cut it again. I used to put away film shows on back then, generally on 800ft/1200ft reels. It was a quick and easy way to join films together, and then later to pull them apart.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160510.JPG Views:	0 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	21005
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160511.JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.1 KB ID:	21006
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160512.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.8 KB ID:	21007
        My tin of Agfa splices, that supply should last forever
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160513.JPG Views:	0 Size:	72.9 KB ID:	21008
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160516.JPG Views:	0 Size:	113.0 KB ID:	21009
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160519.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.9 KB ID:	21010
        Landed up with a few of those splicers over the years

This little one below is not automatic but works fine..

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1160522.JPG Views:	0 Size:	195.7 KB ID:	21011

Comment

Blimey Graham, safe to say you like the Agfa splicers,, totally agree,Mark

Comment

Comment

CIR splicer.
              - Not so cheap.
              - Not idiot proof, need some skill for a totally invisible splice.
              - Not the fastest one to make a splice

But since the per splice cost is pretty low, it seems to fit my requirement just fine.
              No cement splicer involved since most of the splice I made will be temporary - sorry about that.

Comment

Cool topic, i have given this quite some thought over the years and it boils down to this for me. I dont like tape splicers, especially the agfa automatic ones because the tapes have to me made special for this splicer and have been very expensive (not anymore though). also old tape will leave a sticky mess and when it breaks or slides this goo ends up in places you dont want to have it. an old glue splice will only break, you do it again and the mess is limited. this only goes for amateur formats only. in 35mm film in the cinema tape splicers (usually catozzo) are very good, you also use it very different. you assemble the film and after a few weeks it gets disassembled and shipped to the next cinema of distribution centre. that way tape splices are quick and efficient and the tape doesn't get bad because of age. also the tape is special made but not with sprocket holes as the splicer cuts these in the tape. so the tape is only expensive because of the clarity it has to have but not because it has to be precut into special thingies like the afga splicers.

and considering there are catozzo splicers for 8 and 16mm my conclusion is this: unless you have catozzo splicers, i would go for a gleued splice.

i like to use the L.P.L. splicers or Eumig ones (not the chemo splicer, you need special glue for it)

Comment

For me Tri-Acetate cement, Polyester tape.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik Snel View Post
                    .....I don't like tape splicers, especially the Agfa Automatic ones because the tapes have to me made special for this splicer.....

Whilst the Agfa Red/Blue tapes seem to be no longer available, the easily obtainable Red/Clear tape patches are the same and work just as well.

Maurice

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	11240770_849240885130675_8805001144137105198_n.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	167.9 KB
ID:	21227

Comment

When I started as a trainee projectionist aged 17 in 1952 our Sunday programmes were still on nitrate stock. Two bottles of film cement stood on the rewind bench. Safety stock and nitrate stock.
                        Nitrate stock was so easy to join. In fact, a join could be made by hand, although Daffy Duck is rather over doing it.

Maurice

Comment

A friend of mine, who was more involved in theatre show lighting than cine, said once he was helping project and a damaged 35mm film came up. He said he put acetone on it to splice and it almost melted. He was scared that it was nitrate and spent the whole show with a fire extinguisher pointed at the projector. Whether this is 100% accurate I can't say as he was a like a good story.

Comment

Working...
                          X