Sankyo 800 lamp problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo 800 lamp problem

I have had this projector for a few years now.It is in excellent condition and works perfect but every time i use an osram lamp they only last 1-2 hours then they die, usually while watching a film they just get very dim then just stop working.The lamps have no signs of being burnt out and still look like new but just don't work.I have tried a few osrams from different sources so unlikely they are all from defective batches.But recently i have been using a new old stock hanimex lamp i found which while not quite as bright as osrams seems to be ok so far after around 10 hours of use.What could be causing this, possibly the socket which still looks to be the original ?.

Jason
    It certainly sounds as if the lamp holder, for some reason, is not making a good contact with the lamp pins and possibly arcing. I suggest it's time for a new lamp holder. It's a simple job to replace.
    See link below for eBay sale.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-x-G6-35...gAAOSwYlJW4G3n

Maurice

Comment

And also check the pins on those lamps since they do oxidize over time. If you see oxidation on the pins use an emery board until they are bright metal again.

Comment

Thanks for the reply's. I ordered the new sockets that maurice gave a link to, they are advertised as handling up to 250w but when they arrived they were 100w, would they still be ok as the lamp is 150w.

Comment

The current is slightly higher, 10 amp rather than 8.3 so I would hope so for that, the radiated heat from the lamp might be more of a problem if any trouble occurs with the cooling fan in the projector.

Comment

Jason
            Lamp setting on the back of the projector : Did you set L or H (brighter) ? I can only use L with my Sankyo 800. Setting at H: Then there is more than 15 V at the lamp.

Comment

Possibly a good time to check the voltage settings on the projector and measure the actual mains voltage to see if they agree with each other.

Comment

Hi Jason,

I have had exactly the same problem on my Sankyo 800. The other day the bulb died when using it and always looks fine when I inspect it, and this projector was only used for a short while each time to view the odd short film, probably no more than 2 hours in total. The Osram Xenophot bulb (100W) in my Elmo GS800 is still going and it must be few years since I last changed it and run loads more films through it. I did change the bulb holder a long time ago but it only seemed to make a very slight difference and the problem still occurred.

It was well known these Xenophot bulbs have a shorter lifespan than standard but the trade off is a 30% brighter picture. It has been mentioned before that the bulb cooling on the Sankyo is not very efficient and I agree. I'm now wondering if the Xenophot get slightly hotter and need better bulb cooling.

I'm going to a different make, non Xenophot, bulb and see if I also get more life out of it. If it works I will just stick with these in future in the Sankyo.

Graham S

Comment

I didn't know the Xenophot (that I use most of the time) range had a shorte lifespan, Graham. 30 % more brightness sounds much more optimistic than the 10-20 % I have always heard of so far. Maybe someone made accurate comparative tests ? If a member knows anything about that...

Comment

Well i have now changed the lamp holder and fitted a new osram lamp so will run it for a while and see what happens.

Comment

Hi Dom,

It was always said to me that the Xenophots don't last as long as the standard type, but don't know how much shorter. That 30% figure was just what I remembered reading but may be more like 20%, not sure. Always used the Xenophots as Id rather have more light than a longer lasting bulb but the Sankyo is maybe having problems with them. I will find out when I try another bulb.

Graham S

Comment

With the new lamp holder the same thing happened with an osram lamp, it just went out after around 30 mins.The dead lamps look perfect but did notice slight burning around the base of one of the pins ? so maybe air enters through this which causes them to go out? as the main element is still intact.Then i ran it with the original hanimex lamp i have been using and theres no problems.So i think maybe graham is right that the osrams possibly get to hot.I see that phillips also do EFR lamps so i’ll try one of those.

Comment

Here’s a picture of one of the dead lamps, it looks burnt around the base of one of the pins.

Comment

Jason
                            The pins look dirty and not shiny as they should be. Or is it just a trick of the light on it?
                            Before I fit any new lamp I always give the pins a gentle scrape with a fine scalpel, thus cleaning and removing any possible dirt from the pins.
                            Remember that these very small pins are carrying 10 amps on the higher lamp setting.

Maurice

Comment

I did have a batch of cheap lamps where the pins were not welded right to the filament (a cheap brand not Xenophot) which caused arcing there with similar short life.

Comment

Working...
                              X