Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading a projector lamp

Hi everyone,

I write a topic in the 16mm category but i didn't get answer, so i trying in the here. I read several topics about how to upgraded lamp of a projector, i want to ask your point of view about the different possibities available. I want to modified a super8 projector (Elmo GS800 ou ST1200, i don't know yet), an elmo 16cl xenon and a 35mm projector (kinoton FP30 + TK35).

I just bought a HID lamp 150W but i can't find the correct ballast: i read the i need the venture VYC150255 or V150SSC255 but i cannot find any of them, does anyone know where i can find the correct ballast?

I also bought this one a MSD lamp 7R 230W Beam Lamp Bulb with his Ballast (does someone have test this one?)
    I know some of you have made modification to their projector, mostly with the HID lamp. I want to know if some of you can recommended me and maybe what do i need to pay attention for the modification (heat, place, ...) ? I heard this lamp are very hot, can they damage the film?

Thank you in advance for your help, don't want to start modifying a projector and ruining it for nothing

Pierre, the lamp and ballast in the ebay link will not work without the proper power supply needed for the ballast. I do not think they sell the power supply. Stay away from this. The 150 watt lamp you speak of if it is the Xenpow then you can order the power supply from Amazon such as this one: https://www.amazon.com/Hatch-MC150-1...084395&sr=8-10

Comment

I can't be of any help on the MSD lamp but it would help with finding a ballast if we knew where you are located. There was a post giving information for the UK
      on another thread.

Comment

Thanks all for your responses. Brian Fretwell , I living in France, it's difficult to find the ballast here. But if i need to order in an another country, it's not a problem. I give a call to every lamp sellers but everyone only sell the lamp (it's kind a weird). I none of them is competent to tell me how et where to find the ballast.

I have noticed i didn't put the lamp reference , it's a HID lamp 150W 95V:

https://www.prozic.com/www2/info_pro...BoCLDkQAvD_BwE

Alan Gouger ,I think the ballast i bought with the MSD just need to be plug to 220V,si if i understand i need a specific power supply ?

The ballast you give me didn't mention it's suitable for 95V lamp. Do you think it will work ?

Searching on internet (google and the 8mm archive) i found this, does this ballast are similar with the one you show me ? Do you think it will work:

- https://www.leuchtmittel-verkauf.de/...hoCFAYQAvD_BwE

- https://www.lampesdirect.fr/philips-...hoCc0YQAvD_BwE

- https://www.lampesdirect.fr/osram-pt...xoCKmEQAvD_BwE

Sorry for my question, i have very basics knowledge in all of this but i want to learn .

Comment

Check the ballast you bought for the MSD lamp. If the input has a + and - then it requires a DC power supply. Do not plug in 220v a/c without checking with the seller. You will blow it up. Only feed it 220V if they say it is ok.

The Philips ballast looks like it will be fine for the Xenpow 150 watt lamp.

Comment

Yes, I saw that Philips ballast being used on the GS1200 at last year's Big Screen Scene Revival.

Comment

Thank for all. I just order the Phillips ballast on ebay. I will try in first first place with a Elmo ST 1200 or an elmo 16 CL, i haven't decide yet. I don't know if this power of this lamp is powerful enough for 16mm projection. Have you seen this kind of modification on a 16mm projector ?

One last question, i read the lamp can get very hot and can cause cam tank damages. Does a computeur fan is enough to protect the projector composant from heat ?

Comment

I'm sure I've seen them in 16mm machines OK. the lamp gets hotter than halogen but it is still only 150W total power and more of it is in the form of light. The GS1200 didn't seem to have any extra cooling though that lamp is 50 watts less than the original and I expect a computer fan would be enough.

It is a pity the show was off this year as someone planned to take a converted Eumig 710D to it this year. That would have been a good example to base conversions on.

Comment

Pierre
                  Note that the Xenpow HID 150 lamp has to stay alight for the whole of the show of films. It cannot be turned on and off like a conventual lamp. To do this would shorten its life by a large amount.
                  Whilst it is on it will also need the cooling fan to stay on.

Maurice

Comment

You gotta love Maurice's use of Whilst !

Comment

Pierre, have you called Célestin from l'Atelier de Célestin to ask him an advice ?

Comment

Thanks all for you advice, wenn i wil start the modification. I will try to put photos on the forum.

Hi Dominique, I didn't dare call them. Maybe I'll try to give them a call to get their expertise on changing the type of lamps in a projector.

Comment

Working...
                        X