Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for folks interested in syncing audio to 8mm movies of 1970s rock concerts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for folks interested in syncing audio to 8mm movies of 1970s rock concerts

Any thoughts on where to find people who enjoy trying to sync audio to short silent color 8mm movies of rock concerts from the 1970's?
    My experience has been that a given syncer specializes in a small subset of bands.
    Bands in need of syncing are : The Outlaws, Rick Derringer, Edgar Winter, Ronnie Montrose, ELP, Ted Nugent, Boston, Foghat, Robin Trower.
    The movies are a series of short segments which can be challenging to sync.

A utube search on 'barry krumm live 8mm collection' will bring you to the HD scan silent movie with the above bands.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6BXIBSi1nQ

Adam from genesismuseum.com did the HD scan and created the utube post.
    Be sure to click "show more" at that link for the detailed text, which includes links to bands within the silent movie,
    as well as links to movies that have already been synced to audio.
    (I am not interested in selling the movies, but instead prefer to have them all available for everyone to see on utube).

Thank you for your help!

The rest of this post is the current version of the text at that link :
    (the text at the link will change as audio continues to get synced to more movies, etc)

This is the Barry Krumm Live 8mm Collection. He recorded many 8mm films of bands in the 70s.
    These are silent but many of the links below have sound added. I had them all transferred in HD
    and did some cleanup on them, improved the picture and motion.

If you would like to add sound to any of these, let me know and I can give you the source material
    to do this. Or if you have concert 8mm films (especially Genesis) I am able to do an HD
    transfer/restoration of those as well, so they are saved from loss or damage.

genesismuseum.com

From Barry: Thanks to Adam at genesismuseum.com for the HD scan of the movies! Feel free to comment if
    you have any questions. For the following unsynced movies, if audio from the show exists, then 'audio' is shown below,
    followed either by the source who posted it or by just 'youtube'. The movies often have very short
    pieces, so are challenging to sync. It could be that audio I'm not aware of exists for more of the
    shows.
    (The timestamps before each band, which link to different points in the silent movie,
    have been removed from the copy/paste into the 8mm forum)

The Outlaws 8/14/76 Schaefer Music Festival NY
    Rush 12/10/76 Capitol Theatre NJ synced version:
    Derringer 7/26/76 Schaefer Music festival NY
    Edgar Winter 1/27/73? Felt Forum NY
    Montrose 6/21/75 Schaefer Music Festival NY - audio : carlygtr
    ELP 8/20/74 (small piece 8/17/74) Roosevelt Stadium NJ - audio : 2 G Marx pieces are best
    Leslie West 6/21/75 Schaefer Music Festival NY - audio : youtube
    Ted Nugent 8/29/75 Schaefer Music Festival NY - audio : youtube?
    Boston 8/30/78 Madison Square Garden NY
    The Dirt Band?? 7/26/78?? Dr. Pepper Music Festival NY??
    Foghat 12/10/76 Capitol Theatre NJ
    Robin Trower 7/23/76 Shea Stadium NY
    Jethro Tull 7/23/76 Shea Stadium NY synced version:

For 8mm films with synced sound, see the links below, they include the information on who worked
    on the sync. To find all the synced movies, search on 'barry krumm 8mm', though some earlier
    transfers are non-hd or no/unsynced audio.
    (The links to each movie with synced audio have been removed from the copy/paste into the 8mm forum)

Queen 2/5/76 Beacon Theater NY
    Genesis 4/1/78 Rockland Community College NY
    Black Sabbath 8/5/75 Convention Hall NJ
    Aerosmith 8/29/75 Schaefer Music Festival NJ
    Peter Gabriel 3/19/77 Palladium NY
    The Who 3/13/76 Madison Square Garden NY
    Kiss12/18/75 Palace Theater CT
    Kiss7/10/76 Roosevelt Stadium NJ
    Kiss12/15/77 Madison Square Garden NY
    Rush 12/10/76 Capitol Theatre NJ
    Jethro Tull 7/23/76 Shea Stadium NY

Barry,

After looking at some of the films on YouTube, I have to say the folks who did the synching did a great job. Just figuring out which song and then matching it to short snippets of footage, often in a wide shot, takes a ton of talent and patience!

Comment

Hi Doug, I agree with you. I'm amazed how folks were able to do that. Some of the syncs were done within just a few days. -Barry

Comment

The Dr Who restoration team did some great work syncing short (10 -15 second) filmed off air parts of missing episodes to off air audio recordings without reference points several years ago. Patience is needed in large amounts.

Comment

Working...
        X