Bolex M8 Projector Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bolex M8 Projector Question

I recently inherited a 1956 (judging from the serial number) Bolex M8 8mm movie projector that appears to be in good working order. I know it was usable about 15 years ago--the last time I remember actually watching home movies with it. I plugged it in this morning and it ran fine except the upper and lower sprockets did not turn. I don't remember if they are supposed to be motor driven in conjunction with the rear spindle or free turning with the film. I tried moving them and neither of them would turn in either direction. Should they turn? I hesitate to try loading and running a film with the projector if the sprockets are not going to turn--I assume that would damage the film. If they are supposed to turn with the motor/rear spindle, how would I go about fixing them? I have no idea if there's anyone near me that would/could work on something like this. Any help would be appreciated--I would like to go through a large box of home movies to see whether or not they have survived the years of being in a non-insulated attic in Ohio...

They should turn. The motor drive belt likely needs replacing.

Comment

If it is the belts, tucked away in the forum's archives is a post which may be helpfull.
      A quick way to locate[this was 8 years ago]

Search bolex m8 8mm forum then look for Bolex M8 BELTS?

Comment

I'll look that up. If it's the belts not turning them with the motor, should they at least turn by hand? These won't turn at all...well about 1/16 inch either way if that. Are they geared?

Comment

Working...
        X