No announcement yet.

GS1200..250Watt lamp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sometimes I am wondering about those lamps. For example is the ESC was made specifically ONLY for GS-1200? Or any other machine other than Super 8mm projectors used it?

Comment

I used a 250 Watt Wotan/Osram lamp in my oldest GS1200 for a couple of decades when Derann ran out of genuine lamps figuring the near £1000 price tag in the 80's the manufacturer would have at least allowed enough tolerances to accommodate it. No problems despite many warnings and only recently retired the 250 watt lamp type in favor of the modern HID lamp. My first 1983 GS1200 machine has been very reliable and I'm guessing the transformer may be breathing a sigh or relief from the hundreds of shows I have given with it over the years.

Comment

A almost free source of a power supply are using old scrap slide projectors, which over the years, such as the Elmo ones in the following photos had given up on the mechanical front long long ago. I just junked those particular parts. The only thing by using a external transformer, is to make sure the GS1200 lamp switch is left to the "ON" for lamp cooling, apart from that, using a external transformer is a guarantee you wont be overloading the old 40 year projector transformer.

If you are using a ELC 250 watt lamp then I would recommend taking Thomas past advise regarding mounting those lamps 10mm back, on the GS1200.

PS Here also are a couple of photos of a hole cut in the mirror and fitting and adjusting a 250watt lamp to focus the light. I have gone back to using the Osram ELC 10mm back, however one day I might return to the lamp side of that project. .

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190739.JPG Views:	0 Size:	160.7 KB ID:	35696
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190740.JPG Views:	0 Size:	129.3 KB ID:	35697
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190741.JPG Views:	0 Size:	183.2 KB ID:	35698
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190742.JPG Views:	0 Size:	145.6 KB ID:	35699
        Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190736.JPG Views:	0 Size:	96.8 KB ID:	35700

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1190732.JPG Views:	0 Size:	116.7 KB ID:	35701

Comment

Originally posted by Winbert Hutahaean View Post
          Sometimes I am wondering about those lamps. For example is the ESC was made specifically ONLY for GS-1200? Or any other machine other than Super 8mm projectors used it?
          I'm almost certain it's unique to the GS. I wonder if that can be said about any other cine projector/lamp combination?

Comment

I'm sure I remember seeing boxes for these actually branded as Elmo which would indicate that they had them specially made for the company.

Comment

I seem to recall that the ESC lamps were designed for the GS-1200 as its filament is in a slightly different position as apposed to its brother EJL. (Both 200W).

Comment

So when Fuji lamp rereleased ESC about 10 years ago... they made this targeting only for GS-1200 owners ? How expensive is their efforts understanding this is already very niche market and it became more specific only for GS-1200 owners.

Comment

Working...
                X