Eumig S 710 D Motor Mounts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eumig S 710 D Motor Mounts

I got a new pair from Van Eck. There is a bushing in front, I assume the other lives behind the motor? After removing 2 front mount screws, looks like the fan cover has to come off too. Is there anything more to getting the motor out, to replace the second bushing mount?

Yes, it's very simple to change out the motor bushings. First you unplug the two wires to the motor and the two screws on the fan cover. Then the motor and fan cover will come out together with a bit of fiddling due to the recording switch. You should not mess with the two screws directly underneath the front motor mount...you want the two screws that hold the fan cover only! The back motor mount is on the projector's chasis. There are also two washers, one on the front and one on the back mount so don't loose them. After changing the mounts make sure when you reinstall the motor to make sure that the speed regulator engages the piece that slides up and down on the motor shaft. If it does not you will not be able to change from silent to sound speed. Also you may need to save those bronze bushings that are in your old mounts and transfer them to the new mounts before starting to reassemble the motor back into the machine. That would only apply if the new mounts do not come with the bronze bushings already installed. I know it sounds complicated but it is really quite easy in fact. I hope that helps.

Comment

Thanks. I did have to remove those screws, as I did replace that front bushing. Now it's trial and error to realign.

Comment

Yea, it's gonna be like you said, trial and error. But don't give up because it can be done! With the projector in the stop position the drive ball should have an equal distance between both the left and right rubber drive discs. Also make sure those rubber drive discs are scrubbed clean. Alcohol works well, while others lightly sand them and others use platten cleaner, ect..

Comment

....and I see from your location that you live in Chicago. Chicago is where I grew up before moving to Austria and then finally to France many years ago! To be fully fluent in 3 languages is an asset in Europe when searching for films...but I must confess I always lean toward German releases.

Comment

I am thinking I should ahve moved too;-)

So, alignment is really off now. Motor seems to be slightly right of center, can't see how to adjust that.The adjustment only seems to allow up and down rather than left to right. And how can I be sure the back mount has properly fit the nub on motor assembly? I finally got that speed ball where it needs to be, but I guess need some direction on centering the #_&$!! motor.

Comment

The centering of the motor is done from the front of the machine. There are two pieces of steel on the switch assembly that has adjusting screws on each side that when adjusted correctly puts the motor into its center position. There is a very strong spring that is between those positioning levers. I assume the 710 uses that same setup because I know that the earlier Mark S standard 8mm machine does not have those adjusting screws. In that case you would need to bend the levers to center the motor. But I'm pretty sure that the 710 will have them.

The easiest way to get accurate centering is to cut two small pieces of wood in the shape of a doorstop and push them in between the drive discs and the ball tightly until the motor is perfectly centered. Then moving to the front of the machine loosen the screws on both levers and they will take their new position automatically. Retighten the screws securely. Now remove the two pieces of wood and the motor will be centered and remain that way.
              Last edited by Joseph Banfield; December 04, 2020, 01:42 AM.

Comment

How does one access the front of the unit? It appears to be a solid casting. Does removing that main switch reveal enough to do this? This is good info, as all I have been told by others is all centering is done by adjusting the two screws on the back motor mount, which fasten to the fan cover. This seems to adjust up and own, but not left to right. I can take a couple pics if that would help.

Comment

There is a post with photos on the old forum in a thread about Eumigs not running to speed, but I didn't have time to search for them before posting this. I also downloaded the photo's but I can't locate them at present.

Comment

No, the centering is done from the front. You remove the knob on the front panel and the stuff I have discussed is located directly behind the aluminum panel that is glued in position indicating forward reverse and both lamp positions. You simply remove the knob and carefully pull the aluminum panel away, which should be easy as the old glue is petrified by this point anyway. Those levers with the adjusting screws I am talking about ride on that nylon cam that is controlled by the the knob you just removed.

If after the centering of the motor the drive mechanism still does not work, report back and I will give you further information that will get it running, but it is much more drastic!
                    Last edited by Joseph Banfield; December 04, 2020, 01:41 PM.

Comment

I have attached a pic of the front panel we discussed. Are these the adjusting screws, off to the left?
                      Attached Files

Comment

another thing you could do, the two screws on the rear mount are "locked"with a sort of grey laquer and there may be a little bit left on the plate. so you could use those as a way to index the plate again. this has worked for me. but indeed it is better to unscrew the entire ventilator housing.

Comment

No, those screws on the left are for the microswitch so leave them alone. I can see from the photo you sent that Eumig had not yet incorporated the adjusting screws on the two levers and looks just like the interior of the earlier Mark S standard 8mm machine. In that case, like I had previously mentioned, those levers will require bending to achieve motor centering. The levers that require bending very slightly are the two that the large coiled spring is stretched across. You will notice this strong spring located just above the nylon control cam. But at this point I think you should probably just leave things as they are because it would be easy to mess things up, probably why Eumig later added adjusting screws.

And also note that machines without the adjusting screws can not use the simple centering procedure that I described several posts back. Without the adjusting screws it becomes all trial and error until you get it right since the motor can not be locked down in its center position during the lever bending process and must be moved to either forward or reverse, depending on which lever needs bent. For example, if the left lever needs bent the machine needs to be set so the control knob is in the reverse position. If the right lever requires a bend the machine will need to be in the forward position. Determining which lever needs bent to achieve centering of the motor is done by tilting the motor by hand from the back until it looks centered and observing the front to see which lever needs to be bent to achieve this goal. And when one lever is bent the other lever may or may not require bending in the opposite direction.

But the good news is that there is a trick that can be done that requires no bending of the levers at all. This would only work if the motor centering is off by just a couple of millimeters or so. You simply remove the motor and fan cover again and elongate the holes slightly in the fan cover. This will allow a slight tilt to be adjusted in either direction when the motor and fan cover are reinstalled. But the thing to watch out for here is to make sure you don't go too far or the fan will strike the sides of the cover when put into forward or reverse...remember the fan tilts with the motor so be careful if you try my trick and test it with no power by setting the machine in both forward and reverse and using the inching knob to test and be sure the fan does not strike anything!

Sorry to be long-winded in my reply but it could help someone else in the future too!

Comment

Thanks SO MUCH for the detail, it would not have made sense, otherwise. It is now running pretty well. Unfortunately, I have discovered a crack in the fan cover, by the lower left screw. Speed runs pretty well, but I have noticed it picks up a bit when I press down on that fan cover. I am going to use some heavy glue and then solder over it, to try and stabilize. Don't have a welder handy! Some day I will pick up a parts machine and properly replace the cover..Thanks again.

Comment

Chip, it was my pleasure!

Comment

Working...
                              X