EUMIG Mark S. IT'S ALIVE!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EUMIG Mark S. IT'S ALIVE!!!

I am very happy to report I was able to get the EUMIG MARK S working again. I was able to solve the switch issue. No sound yet, need to find the vacuum tubes and check the amp. But it's a pleasure to have such a beautiful machine running again. Tested the projector with a short from "Action in the North Atlantic" with Bogart, and had a look at segments of "The Gold Rush" and one of my favorite films "Brief Encounters". The links are to some videos I took, sorry for the quality.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/uT2UmyzgXa5cr88N9
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/L5JT5WdDDjA8Zwpy6
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/eYi4y4XLGbtPooin7

Congratulations, Julian!
    Great work!

Comment

Thanks Oliver, I am very happy, it's really very satisfying to have our old toys running!

Comment

Well done, Julian! I doubt seriously you will find any problem with the amp. My tube amp Eumigs didn't even have bad filter caps. But I did always have problems on all those with both the recording switches and the spring contacts to the transformer. But that's a rather easy fix.

​​​​​I noticed in your videos the typical squeak of the 700 series. That noise comes from the rear sprocket. Open the machine and give the worm drive that turns it a smear of grease and the machine will stop squealing. But unfortunately it always seems to return again sooner or later. I've never found a permanent fix for that yet. If you do, let me know!

Comment

Joseph, thanks for your advice. I have never put a milligram of grease or oil in my projectors, well on the 35mm I did. I will ero so in the following days. I noticed the squeak is worst when film reels are tight. When no film is going through the projector there is no squeak. I got a friend to test the tubes and found one is OK, one is damaged an other is at 50%. Hope the amp and sound head are OK. I understand this sound head has a limited life. My print of Brief Encounters is 8mm with sound, and I want to project the film to my wife with working sound. I agree those switches with springs and contacts are a pain. EUMIGs, beautiful machines, some parts are excellent others are pretty lousy, many were custom not standard, they seem designed and made the hard way, very different for example to the ELMO approach, for example the bloody switch, what a pain!

Comment

Yes, when no film goes through the projector there is no squeal as you too have noticed. I was so sure for a long time that there was a problem in the takeup section. But it indeed comes from the worm gear that drives the gear that turns the rear sprocket. It happens on all 4 of my 700 series machines but never on the later 800 series. The second you smear that worm gear the machine goes quite as a mouse for hours. But in a day or two it returns as bad as before every time!

Comment

Nice one i put new motor mounts from van eck in mine(my dads) its std 8 and works as good as new

Comment

Nice Russ. I also put motor mounts from Van Eck, work great. I had made mounts form epoxy resin, but didn't last long and eventually failed. I also bought form Van Eck the front leg and the cable. Great stuff and service!

Comment

Congratulations on your projector repair, lubrication is pretty important on this machines, new grease and add some oil drops in motor bearings.

Gustavo

Comment

Originally posted by Julian Baquero View Post
                    Joseph, thanks for your advice. I have never put a milligram of grease or oil in my projectors, well on the 35mm I did. I will ero so in the following days. I noticed the squeak is worst when film reels are tight. When no film is going through the projector there is no squeak. I got a friend to test the tubes and found one is OK, one is damaged an other is at 50%. Hope the amp and sound head are OK. I understand this sound head has a limited life. My print of Brief Encounters is 8mm with sound, and I want to project the film to my wife with working sound. I agree those switches with springs and contacts are a pain. EUMIGs, beautiful machines, some parts are excellent others are pretty lousy, many were custom not standard, they seem designed and made the hard way, very different for example to the ELMO approach, for example the bloody switch, what a pain!
                    Eumig and everyone who worked there are very proud of the fact eumig made every single part themselves. nothing was outsourced to cheaper countries with the idead they could guarantee the quality. That is very true bot nowadays this indeed means that there are almost no standard parts used and parts with design flaws bite you in the behind. in later years they did outsource but that was during the decline of the company

Comment

Working...
                    X