ELMO ST1200 has a high pitched whine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ELMO ST1200 has a high pitched whine

Problem number two: My other st1200 in play has a high pitched whine, not mechanical, as it is a single unwavering note. Information on correcting this fault very much welcome. Stay safe all, Mark PS my other st1200's run just fine

It's time to work the switches and jacks, Mark. Exercise those contacts, break those oxides!

I've had this trick fix whistling on my ST-1200HD a couple of times and an ST-800 at least once that I can remember.

-then again there was that one time it didn't work and to fix it I had to replace all the pre-amp ICs on my sound board.

(Let's hope it doesn't come to that.)

Comment

As far as I am aware, most of the problems with the audio board of the ELMO are the old electrolytic capacitors. Caps work as audio filters and energy reservoirs. By now most of the caps are far away from the original specs if not already shorted, ELMO stock electronics was not top notch. The service manual recommends first replacing C32 which is a 0.047uF @ 25 volts. I such thing doesn't work they say change the IC. I would first replace all the caps and clean the pots. Last thing is changing the IC which is has been long discontinued.

Comment

I've had pretty decent luck finding obsolete ICs and other semiconductor devices on eBay: that's where my "new" pre-amps came from.

The nice thing about this is they degrade under power (mostly because of temperature): ones from new old stock shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I attended a lecture on the degradation of capacitors over time once, based on what they said we're lucky that any of our machines work!

(Of course the lecture was put on by people selling capacitors....just saying...)

Comment

Working...
        X