8MM Projector Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 8MM Projector Operation

My old B&H Lumina 1.2 projector (Model 383A)seems to be working fine but occasionally it loses the frame and starts clacking. Pushing down the plastic auto thread trough at the top doesn’t fix it. I usually have to stop the projector, swing open the lens and manually try to reset the film sprockets on the little toothed claw device. If I can get the film on the claw teeth it usually stays on frame and runs smoothly. The frame knob just above the speed knob doesn’t seem to so much of anything. Just how does that claw thing work? What makes it go up and down, in and out? Would a lose belt cause problems with that claw moving correctly? I also see some worn holes in the film. Is there an easy way to try and fix or reinforce those holes so the film doesn’t jump frame? Would press tape splices along the holes help restore the sprocket holes to their correct size? Maybe add these tapes every several feet along the film?

The thing you push down is called the "loop restorer". It's designed to push the film back in its correct position so the film doesn't "chatter" when being projected. That model projector you are using may not have a "loop restorer" some didn't.

Comment

Although I am not familiar with Bell & Howell 8mm machines, it sounds like from your description you may have sprocket hole damage to the film itself. On any projector, a bad section of film can cause the machine to loose its loops and start "clacking" as you say. If that is the case you need to inspect your film and either repair the sprocket holes on the film using press tapes or cut the bad section out completely and splice it back together.

I'm rather sure someone else here on the forum who is familiar with Bell & Howell 8mm machines will be able to give you some advice on your non-working framing control.

Comment

Working...
      X