Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A couple of vinegar syndrome questions

Pretty sure the brain trust here will know for sure:

I've been lucky that I've only had about a half dozen instances of VS in my collection. (Counting my years as a kid with a toy projector, I've been at this for over 45 years.) I seem to recall having read that if a print with vinegar syndrome is found, it should be kept away from other films for fear of triggering the condition in "healthy prints." (I may have even read that here, once upon a time.) Whenever I've found a print with VS, I quickly just toss it.

While talking with another collector the other day, we both wondered two things: If a film with VS is found, can it be tossed and the reel re-used (after being given a good cleaning), or is the reel "contaminated" and could ruin a good print? Similar question regarding the box: If you've got a bad print but it's in an almost mint box from Castle Films or some other company, is it safe to use the box for a replacement print if the replacement's box is in not-so-hot shape? (Obviously a misting of Lysol and/or Fabreeze might be needed if the smell has been picked up by the cardboard.)

Thanks in advance for any information, and apologies in advance if either of these topics have already been covered and I've simply overlooked them!
Working...
X