Bell and Howell 606

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bell and Howell 606

Hi everyone hope your all staying safe at this difficult time.

I have just managed to get a Bell and Howell 606, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if when you turn the motor on should it become really hot and stay hot even after turning it off? When you look in the top the coils glow bright red should that happen too?

Regards Deborah

Deborah

As I recall, the 606 whilst running on mains voltage uses an 110volt 400watt lamp. The 230volt mains is reduced to 110volt by a standing resistance unit alongside the lamp. This gets very hot and, as you say, its coils glow bright red. And, of course, there is the heat from the lamp.

Also, I believe the early model only has one switch which is not a good idea. A later variant was the 606M which did have separate switches for the motor and lamp. With the two switches it's possible to switch off the lamp and keep the motor running with its fan cooling the lamp and the resistance unit.

Quite honestly, if yours is the earlier model there's nothing else you can do.

Maurice

Comment

Thank you Maurice,
      as I live in England we use 240volts so are you saying even though the coils are glowing red hot it should be safe to use?

Regards Deborah

Comment

Deborah

The declared voltage in the UK is 230 volts, -6% +10%, although it's usually 240 volts which come out of our socket. The tolerance therefore allows the electricity companies to deliver between 216.2 and 253 volts.

The resistance is designed to glow red, but not orange.

May I also add that the lamps for the 606 are now obsolete and may be difficult (and expensive) to source.

Maurice

Comment

Thank you very much for all your help.

Regards Deborah

Comment

Working...
          X