Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on Elmo K100 SM projector

Hi folks,

This Elmo K100 SM is a dual projector (Standard/regular 8mm and super 8mm) but it seems from many videos and pictures I found, it can only cater super 8mm reels (with bigger center hole). Is this trully the case?

​​​​​​Friend of mine has this projector and via the phone I asked him to pull up the adapter might be installed on the take up arms in order to accomodate the standard 8mm reels I gave him. But he said there is no such adapter and he could not pull out anything. I was suprised.

So... how people can use it for standard 8mm?

any input please.

cheers,

The front spindle does not need an adapter. It has a spring loaded mechanism on it, which conforms to the reel hole presented to it as you push it on. It can be a bit fiddly as you need to get it right so that the reel fits on to the lugs, rather than wobble about.

Comment

It's probably like some Eumig dual projectors. The take-up spindle will only accept a Super 8 spool.

Maurice

Comment

No, the spindle adapts to the different holes in the reel for super8/ 8mm.

Comment

This may help : https://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0132.html

Comment

Incidentally I use mine for both super 8/ 8mm silents. I have never seen such a spindle on other silent projectors, which always require an adapter.

Comment

Thanks folks for the inputs

Originally posted by Martin Davey View Post
              No, the spindle adapts to the different holes in the reel for super8/ 8mm.
              Martin, when you say No... I guess you referred to Maurice' response. So did you say the take up arms can also adapt both super 8 and 8mm reels?

Comment

Correct.
                I have never checked the take up spindle to see if it has the same arrangement, as that would not be required. In reality you never need to change the take up spool, ie a super 8 for an 8mm one, because a super 8 spool will accept 8mm film, so a super 8 take up spool would be the normal one kept in place for all operations. The projector, when rewinding, does not require you to swap the spools around as the machine is just switched in to reverse, so the film is wound back on to the feed spool after projection.
                To clarify and assuming the projector is complete as built, you do not need a seperate adapter for showing an 8mm film, or an 8mm spool for take up.

Comment

Originally posted by Martin Davey View Post
                  I have never checked the take up spindle to see if it has the same arrangement, as that would not be required.
                  Martin
                  The above quote is a trifle misleading.
                  Have you now actually checked the rear take-up spindle to see if it's only Super 8, or has it the adaptable arrangement?

Comment

I have just pulled the machine off the shelf to have a look. The rear take up spindle is fixed (as built) for a super 8 spool, which as I say does not need to be adaptable as it is suitable for both formats. There is no reason to put an 8mm reel there.
                    The photo shown shows the feed spindle with its spring arrangement, which is changed automatically if needed, by pushing a spool on. The first image shows the spindle in its default state as a super 8 spindle. The second image shows the spring loaded section pushed in with a pencil, which is what happens when an 8mm spool is fed on.

Comment

So my suggestion yesterday is correct.

Maurice

Comment

Sorry Maurice. You are quite correct and I do appologise. I miss-read Winbert's reply. Hopefully he now has the info for his friend. : )

Comment

Winbert

There were many posting of answers to your original question. Let me summarise the details:-

1) The feed spool arm spindle has adjustments for it to accept either standard/regular 8 spools or Super 8 spools
                          2) The take-up arm spindle only accepts Super 8 spools. These to be used for either Super 8 films or standard/regular 8 films

Maurice

Comment

Just to illustrate what has been described above:

Supply reel has a multi-format adapter and supports bother Std. 8mm and Super 8mm reels.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201217_055226900.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	23321 Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201217_055400501.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	23322

The rear take-up supports a super 8 reel only.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201217_055410279.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	23323

Comment

Originally posted by Maurice Leakey View Post
                              Winbert

There were many posting of answers to your original question. Let me summarise the details:-

1) The feed spool arm spindle has adjustments for it to accept either standard/regular 8 spools or Super 8 spools
                              2) The take-up arm spindle only accepts Super 8 spools. These to be used for either Super 8 films or standard/regular 8 films

Maurice
                              Thanks Maurice and Martin. Now I know what should I explain to my friend. I have zero experience with Std 8mm. This format is not popular here.

Comment

Working...
                              X