Re-recording pointers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-recording pointers

Re-recording your prints rely on 2 things. Does your print have suitable magnetic stripe on both tracks to allow the recording? Some of mine have failed in this category. Number 2 is the stripe itself is slowly flaking away from the film.
    my point here is to re-record in 400' sections and then play back for quantity. Just because the picture is in sync it doesn't mean that the sound is. There are ways to get it right. I will share in a future post, the way manage.
    Happy New year! Burt.

Burton
    if the stripe is flaking off then there's no point in recording it.

I have rerecorded many prints and a top tip is to do a test recording on the leader,if it's no good there then you know not to continue with the rest, doing 400ft is fine but you could end up with varying results on start up each time if your machine isn't 100% condition wise,Mark

Comment

Quite right Mark, I should have clarified that point. What I meant was there are 2 conditions which will prevent a quality re-recording. Stripe quality and condition. If going for a stereo result both stripes should be tested before hand. I have prints where the main stripe is solid but the balance stripe weak so I settled for a Mono Dolby Digital recording. Recording on a deteriorating/flaking stripe results in background rumbling so if you are thinking of doing a re-record you should spot-check the stripe visually on and editor. To clarify what I was referring to regarding sync is that I have found that starting the print and source DVD in sync is easy enough but if the print has any missing frames or edits, even minor, the sound will go out of sync. Ideally you are correct that the count down leader is the best way to test recordability of the stripe.

Comment

Turn the clock back 40 years or so it was fairly common to have previously striped film with thin or worn stripe OVERSTRIPED
        On the whole it was successful I used to use a small one man business working in his loft. He also had film printing services which infused from time to time blowing up 8mm to 16 or the other way. A handy and very helpful guy.
        He offered a good paste striping service and also overstripe.

If it's a precious film to you worth having done. I asked Movie Magnetic in Italy if they could do it and he was happy to try it for me. Sent in some film and back here in just over a week.
        Success! To make up the order I joined on some silent films and dubbed to sound.

A service worth considering as the films are pre washed as well so very fine lines are also reduced.
        Hope this is of help.

Comment

Yes missing frames will indeed put the film out of sync and there are many cases of this on feature films that watching it before you may not have noticed.

checking a film first is always a good idea and also if you have a good mono sound and you just want a stereo rerecord then it's pretty straight forward with excellent results that will lift the film. Paste striping can be a problem if it isn't flat so definitely check those prints.

Ref 400ft lengths then just to clear projector condition, if your machine isn't set up 100% then you'll hear where you start/stopping recording, sometimes a clicking sound or wow can occur, obviously find a quiet part on musicals or music parts of the film as you'll hear where you start, if your machine is in top order you'll get very little or no signs of this on non musical parts, Mark

Comment

This was going to be mentioned in my reply but Thank you Mark for making it make sense. I know the best way to match a print to source DVD audio is with the use of video editing software. The next best thing can be achieved with a GS-1200, a pulse sync device like the Renzo box and the use of the Spot record feature on the GS. For example if you start your your projector in sync with the DVD image side by side while recording and notice the film has jumped ahead of the DVD, what I do is reverse the film in the projector about 30 seconds and then cue the DVD to once again be in sync.I then push play on the GS and at the correct moment press play on the DVD and then Spot Record on the GS. This eliminates any noise or wow. If you don't get it right you can repeat. A method that works for me. Just wanted to pass on.

Comment

Working...
            X