Super 8 on Blu-ray

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Super 8 on Blu-ray

Well this was a surprise after watching the German import of "The Great Waldo Pepper" with selected English audio. I thought I would look at the extras. Although the extras are in German such as this Universal 8 Super8 release its exactly the same 17:03 edit as mine, as I timed it.

I have never seen Super8 on a blu-ray release like this it was fun watching it although I don't no German .
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1100925.JPG Views:	0 Size:	97.3 KB ID:	26303
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1170278.JPG Views:	0 Size:	101.7 KB ID:	26304
    Click image for larger version  Name:	P1170308.JPG Views:	0 Size:	75.5 KB ID:	26305

Graham,

That's great! How's the quality of the Super 8mm source material? So many times when a Super 8 digest is included in the extras, it's often a faded, scratched print.

Comment

The Germans seem to be leading the way with incorporating S8 on discs although the British market has also got involved somewhat also putting 9.5mm on a br release. Of course the German S8 market was massive like Italy so probably not so surprising they are including the 8mm films
      To my eyes it looks like they used a negative scan for the S8 film. Crisp is the word, not grease.

Comment

Most of the Super 8 extras on Blu Ray are awful. Either pink or soft. Duel was the only reasonable one I’ve seen. Wonder was Steven Spielberg involved?

Comment

Hi Doug

I would say its a direct transfer without any color correction etc. It does look a bit faded, but not as bad as mine, in saying that I would say the actual flying which is the most important part of this extract, like my own digest, still looks pretty good compared to other scenes. There were a few odd minor scratches, but nothing bad.

Overall I am glad the transfer was not tampered with, I would say its an accurate interpretation, a nice little bonus to watch.

The only screen shot I took is the one above "Universal 8 presents".

Comment

Not sure this will work, the quality of the transfer is not that great, but it gives an idea that the quality of the Universal 8 that is on the blu-ray above is better than this one of mine.

Last edited by Graham Ritchie; January 19, 2021, 07:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X