Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Community: Do you recommend lubricating my antique Bell Howell 122 LR ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kristy Stone
    replied
    [QUOTE=Kristy Stone;n26884]Hi folks- First time poster here.

I recently got my hands on my departed father's old projector and cans of film. I'd like to digitize them for other family members elsewhere. The thing is- when I turn on the machine it has a few symptoms that are cause for concern. Firstly, the machine gets very hot very fast (first 60 seconds or so). Other relatives have tried using this machine, and have burnt our family films from the 50s so its a sensitive topic as they were destroyed. I promised everyone if I had the films, I wouldn't let it get that bad, so I need to tread lightly here.

First: Doe anyone have a Bell Howell 122 LR 8mm manual you would be willing to duplicate and sell to me?

Second: When I turn the machine on, it's louder than the motors on YouTube videos of a similar model. I was thinking, maybe the projector gets hot AND is loud because that old motor is dusty and working overtime? That's my theory at least. Question: Should I open up the inside and grease the cogs as one does for a sewing machine, or is that a bad idea?

Finally, I have discovered a less than perfect solution for the overheating, but it isn't ideal so I am open to suggestions. In order to alleviate the heat, I took the cap off the back of the projector to allow for the strong heat to escape out the rear. Unfortunately, the bright projector light also streams out the back, causing the room to be overly-lit when we are trying to view these old films (hope that makes sense). Any better ideas?

Thank you in advance.

Leave a comment:

• Community: Do you recommend lubricating my antique Bell Howell 122 LR ?

Hi folks- First time poster here.

I recently got my hands on my departed father's old projector and cans of film. I'd like to digitize them for other family members elsewhere. The thing is- when I turn on the machine it has a few symptoms that are cause for concern. Firstly, the machine gets very hot very fast (first 60 seconds or so). Other relatives have tried using this machine, and have burnt our family films from the 50s so its a sensitive topic as they were destroyed. I promised everyone if I had the films, I wouldn't let it get that bad, so I need to tread lightly here.

First: Doe anyone have a Bell Howell 122 LR 8mm manual you would be willing to duplicate and sell to me?

Second: When I turn the machine on, it's louder than the motors on YouTube videos of a similar model. I was thinking, maybe the projector gets hot AND is loud because that old motor is dusty and working overtime? That's my theory at least. Question: Should I open up the inside and grease the cogs as one does for a sewing machine, or is that a bad idea?

Finally, I have discovered a less than perfect solution for the overheating, but it isn't ideal so I am open to suggestions. In order to alleviate the heat, I took the cap off the back of the projector to allow for the strong heat to escape out the rear. Unfortunately, the bright projector light also streams out the back, causing the room to be overly-lit when we are trying to view these old films (hope that makes sense). Any better ideas?

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Kristy Stone; January 25, 2021, 05:23 PM. Reason: typos found and corrected.
Working...
X