Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you help me how to correctly load film into my Agfa Movector E8?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Josephine
    Dont be too quick to purchase the cement and splicer that has been suggested. I think I have a splicer that uses presstapes (presstapes included). Much easier to use and if I can find it I can let you have it for less than the cement bottle and splicer.

Comment

Standard 8 projectors are now around 50 to 60 years old. I bought a Eumig P8 (which uses the same lamp as Josephine's Movector E8) in September 1959. I believe that the Bolex 18-5 was a little later in around 1965.

It is indeed unfortunate that these old lamps are now obsolete and difficult to find at a reasonable price.

The mentioned E8 uses an A1/186 BXT 100w 12v lamp, and the Bolex uses the A1/17 CXR/CXL 50w 8v lamp. Both of these are now quite expensive.

Regarding press-tapes, I understand that these for standard 8 are now virtually impossible to find.

Film making, and film collecting, have always been an expensive hobby.

Maurice

Comment

Josephine
        I have just looked amongst my splicers and found a Quick Splice kit that includes the splicer, tapes and instructions for 8mm film. There are more than enough tapes for your use. I think you will find this quicker and easier to use for your purposes. I can let you have this for less than the cost of a cement splicer and a the bottle of cement and it it much less messy to use.
        have a look at the pictures and let me know. I can also throw in a small reel of Standard 8 film leader to get you going☺️
        Last edited by Terry Sills; January 31, 2021, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Josephine
          I agree with this kind offer.
          It sounds an ideal starter kit to get you going.

Maurice

Comment

Just trying to help out, but what worries me is that Josephine doesn't seem to be able to get the projector working properly. No good repairing the film if she is unable to project it. Are we sure that she has the correct bulb? It would be helpful if we could see some photos of the lamp and set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Dominique De Bast View Post
              Shane, I have never owned a Bolex 18-5 but I read it uses the expensive "spaceman" 8v 50 watt bulb, so I would personnaly not recommend this projector to a newcomer.
              Dominique, your correct the spaceman bulb is obsolete compared to modern halogens. I was able to convert my 18-5 to halogen but that was not an easy task. The spaceman bulb does seem to last a long time when these 18-5's aren't used everyday. You can find the bulbs on eBay for a good deal occasionally. The 18-5L Super 8 machines were updated to halogen around 1970, but it's a shame the early 18-5 regular 8 machines didn't last long enough to get this upgrade. Still I can recommend these original 18-5's if the user doesn't plan to project daily. Probably the best recommendation is a dual format unit from the 70's that uses a halogen bulb, and projects both formats. But which one is a good recommendation I can't think of one at the moment.

Comment

Shane
                youre probably thinking of the Eumig 600 series which are great dual gauge machines and automatic loaders. I suspect that they would cost a little more than the £15 Josephine spent but at least it could have been sold on afterwards.

Comment

I recommend a Sankyo which uses a lamp which is still widely available at a low price.
                  It's the Dualux 1000 H which uses the A1/231 (EFP) reflector lamp 100w 12v.

super 8 database, sankyo dualux 1000H (filmkorn.org)
                  Osram A1/231 12v 100w EFP - £3.75 plus vat (lightbulbs2u.com)

Maurice

Comment

The Sankyo 1000H does use a less expensive halogen 100W bulb however they are difficult to find. I suggest the Sankyo 2000H....much more available and a better designed machine.

Comment

Janice
                      yes youre right there, but they fetch much higher prices than the Eumigs. I imagine that Josephine is trying to keep expenses to a minimum as she is new to this hobby. Problem is when you buy cheap and you have little knowledge of what you are buying it is a minefield, especially when these projectors are many years old. We are all trying our best to help her but I worry that she has bought a 'pig in a poke'.

Comment

Terry I had a Eumig 610D some years back but I never really liked it to be honest. The image was never sharp from edge to edge, and it used a rather cheap plastic zoom lens. I'm probably being some what picky here really. I'm OCD about a perfect, sharp image from edge to edge. Once I got the Bolex 18-5 regular 8 machine, and the 18-5L Super for Super 8 is was night and day. Sharp image all the way across, and a much better focusing lens. Again I'm picky with projection. With that in mind, if someone is looking for a basic dual gauge machine then yes the Eumig 600 series fits the bill.

Comment

Pity they didn't sell it with the 18mm prime lens they used as an alternative to the zoom on the 510D, that was a very sharp lens. Of course I wouldn't recommend a 510D as that also takes the "Spaceman" lamp.

Comment

Thanks for the follow-up information. I'll be back with updates at some point. In the meantime, regular life calls...

Comment

Working...
                            X