No announcement yet.

Film Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe it might eventually lead (with enough demand) to a situation where the overall price wasn't too prohibitive so that one could afford to say have this process applied to a favourite 400 footer from the collection as and when finances permit?? A bit like the days when we would have to save-up 'our pennies' to buy that latest 400' digest release from Derann, Perry's etc.... 🤔

Comment

If more information comes through on Facebook regarding this, I will let everyone know, see what happens.

Comment

I wrote him an email today and I'm looking forward to hearing back from him.

Comment

Boy, this would be great to restore the color for the Bal Masqué sequence in my print of Phantom of the Opera.

Comment

I tried asking a question via the Pro-8mm site and the response - although not from their expert on this - was in line with how Martin and Graham have described it. It's not available yet and it sounds like they consider it an archival service that a contact of theirs has developed. It looks promising but I'll be astonished if it doesn't cost a fortune. One of the Facebook videos caused me to think it's probably comparable to what Mario does, but available in relation to Super 8 as well as 16mm.

Comment

From my 1970s memory bank it never looked that high on contrast. But hey ho it's all in the hands of the mouse today perhaps and what people think it should have looked like.
              Call me old school but I would rather have the memory of the original 70s release.....weirdly even pinking I still see a colourful entertaining film or is it the embossed memory of one.

Comment

Well actually, some of that isn't just sweet memories. I used to have a 400ft print is Empire Strikes Back, part 1, German edition. It was on very good Kodak sp, but I chose to sell it when I found an L.P.P. copy. Thing is, the l.p.p. was an overly bluish mess, but the Kodak sp was the proper color, which had the snow of Hoth as a nice pure white with a slight touch on brown rocks. here and there. In many ways, the Kodak sp looked much better, more true to the original color scheme.

Comment

I remember mine looking like that when I bought it brand new over 41 years ago!

Comment

What strikes me about this process is that it is quite effective, but in the case of this print of Star Wars the restored side doesn’t look that good anyway, as the print being produced in the late 70’s is hardly a quality product and is worlds removed from Derann’s later quality and wouldn’t it be better to try and get new prints struck from a quality negative. It’s only Star Wars after all. Tee hee.

Comment

A thing of it's time and the only memory I have of leaving the London cinema back then having watched sw and collecting my S8 film on the way home. Oh and also a slice of cheesecake for the commute home.
                      I stood with my stage school classmates at the back of the cinema as it was full to the rafters for the duration of the film as well.

Comment

After seeing it locally in 35mm I went to the Dominion Tottenham Court road to see the 70mm version as the 35mm print hadn't been very good and the mono sound even worse.

Comment

Working...
                        X