A Labour of Love!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

The next shelf above, 'shelf # 9' is for some some spare reels etc and some over-size silent features which I still have to unpack yet.

Then on the next shelf, 'shelf # 8', I have put all my Standard and Super 8mm Silent Classic Features (not comedies) such as: Birth of a Nation; Hunchback of Notre Dame; Nosferatu etc...as seen in the next picture.

Comment

Comment

On the next shelf, 'shelf # 7', I now has my Silent Comedy collection, such as: Chaplin; Keaton; Lloyd; Sennett.

That's as far as I've got so far, but next I will be moving onto unpacking my sound films from the 1930's onwards and going through to the end of the 1970's which will go on 'shelves # 6-2' in descending order and I will post more pictures when it's all done.

Comment

Looking good! I love stuff like this. I have a huge collection and part of the fun is organizing the shelving. And then re-arranging it....looking forward to seeing the unit full!

Comment

Many thanks Bill 🙂

I'll post more pictures when it's all filled-up!

Comment

Comment

Actually I finished unpacking all my 8mm films and putting them up onto the Film Storage-Unit a few weeks ago now, but the server for the forum was down and I've been busy job-hunting and only just realised that I hadn't posted a picture of the finished job!

Carrying on from where I left off having completed 'shelf # 7' and going up from the bottom....

Shelf # 6 has Sound Comedies, such as: A+C; L+H; W.C. Fields; Marx Bros.

Shelf # 5 has Gangster/Drama, such as: Bogart; Cagney;
                  Robinson; Flynn; Gable.

Shelf # 4 has Musicals, such as: Astaire and Rogers;
                  MGM; Jolson.

Shelf # 3 has other Films of the 40's + 50's such as: Epics; Westerns; War Films etc (with a small selection of Christmas Films at the end)

​​​​​​Shelf # 2 has Films of the 60's + 70's such as: Lawrence of Arabia; Cincinnati Kid; Jaws; Star Wars; Superman etc...

Shelf # 1 (Top-Shelf) will have over-sized films on 800'-1200' reels of certain Feature-Films that I will select to put onto those larger reels when wanting to watch a complete feature.

Note: Shelf # 2 now also has my Disney + Cartoon Films displayed on it.

​​​​​​​Now that it is completed I am very pleased with how it has turned out - it's been a long time coming, but well worth the wait! 😊

Comment

Ali,

You've done a magnificent job! It looks great and reminds me of my very own Closet O' Film.

In all honesty, this picture was taken almost a decade ago. The closet o' film is no longer this neat or this organized...

Comment

Thanks Doug - just part of my further and very enjoyable journey nowadays through this wonderful hobby of ours, hence the title of this thread 😊

Btw, your 'Closet 'O Films' looks brilliant! I suppose anyone outside the hobby, and being unsuspecting, would get a huge surprise when you open it up and they see all those great films stored there - when they were probably expecting to see the usual collection of clothes etc... 😉

Comment

You can't fully appreciate it until you experience it in person!
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Closet O Film.jpg Views:	0 Size:	78.7 KB ID:	29557

Winter, 2014 (The one with glasses is a college freshman now!)

Comment

Well done Ali, it's looking great, I think its important to have a tidy set up for films and equipment, I use the dining room and modified a wall unit to home my main projectors by extending the back 4 inches , I also made some doors for two alcoves to put some films in after fitting shelves, I also have a cupboard upstairs for films and projectors, it still looks like a dining room when not in use for films.

Nice job.

​​​​​​​You need time to start watching them now!! Mark

Comment

Here's my pics of the dining room.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_080809.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	29574 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_080824.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	29575 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_080841.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	29573

Comment

More pics
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_080858.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	29577 Click image for larger version

Name:	20210309_080915.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	29578

Comment

Mark,

Very cool! Hanging the reels is a brilliant idea.

Comment

Working...
                                X