Off Center Projection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Center Projection

Probably a common theme, my dad passed and I ended up with a small pile of 8mm films.
    before I get them digitized I'd like to see what is on them, the $10 gaf 1372Z that I found projects off-center.
    Is there an adjustment for this?
    Did I waste $10?

Thank you.

Hi Matt,

It's possible you have the machine configured for Super-8 when you have Regular 8 films. This allows a greater portion of the frame to be in the picture (it's actually what's "super" about Super-8!), so you are seeing a whole lot of Regular-8's larger sprocket-holes.

If you look for some lever or knob that is marked something like R8/S8 and flip it over to whichever it isn't maybe this will improve for you.

(I Googled and found a picture with little lever marked "Super-8/Regular" on the top of the machine's side panel.)

-best of luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Klare View Post
      Hi Matt,

It's possible you have the machine configured for Super-8 when you have Regular 8 films. This allows a greater portion of the frame to be in the picture (it's actually what's "super" about Super-8!), so you are seeing a whole lot of Regular-8's larger sprocket-holes.

If you look for some lever or knob that is marked something like R8/S8 and flip it over to whichever it isn't maybe this will improve for you.

(I Googled and found a picture with little lever marked "Super-8/Regular" on the top of the machine's side panel.)

-best of luck!
      The Super/regular toggle doesn't fix it.

Comment

Interesting!

When you are operating with the lamp on and you operate that control, does the image on screen change at all?

Usually you go back and forth between a larger rectangle and a smaller one.

Comment

It's like Steve said, this is a masking problem between standard 8 and Super 8. Obviously your control to switch between both standards is not working, or simply broken. There really is no other possibility if you say that this control changes nothing when you change its position. Time to remove the cover and see what is broken or frozen up and move on from there.

And just a hint: when you move the selector switch between regular 8 and super 8 a mask should slide up and down in front of the light source....the smallest mask will be for regular 8mm film and the larger one for Super 8.

Comment

Just another thought.

Just like the old dual gauge Eumigs, does this unit come with what appears to be a spare film gate which is, in fact, the one that you need ?

Comment

It is a good thought, but a long time ago I used one of these (I was a teenager: THAT long ago!), and I seem to remember it having a sliding mask plate with two apertures. (Don't trust me implicitly: these days my glasses and keys often hide for hours!)

Actually one of these machines was my first introduction to 8mm film: at maybe seven years old I severely wanted one of my own!

Comment

I am very familiar with this type of GAF projector . It only uses one gate and only a gauge switch to change the masking for Std. 8 or Super 8. The masking frame might be jammed or bent. My Moviestuff modified GAF telecine projector has the gate frame enlarged to deliberately show the whole film frame and doesn't use a mask. A previous owner may have tried to do this same thing.

Comment

You guys are correct, the Super/regular toggle has a catch in its movement, a little extra love seated it and now it works fine.

Thank you!

Comment

The sprocketless Eumig Mk501 has a similar gauge change lever.

Comment

Matt Hitterdal Glad you were able to locate and fix the issue. Enjoy your films.

Comment

Working...
                      X