Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problem with playing or rewinding 18-5 Bolex

Gd day to all!

I've been having trouble with either playing the film on my Bolex 18-5 Automatic, or reversing and sometimes both.

The bulb is not the issue as it fires up on the first knob turn.

I can get the bulb to switch on, but the film doesn't move. Reckon it's motor issue?

Warm regards

Arul

When you start the Bolex does the supply reel spindle start to turn? The take reel/spindle should move once the projector is turned on and engaged. If you hear the motor start up and the spindles are not moving then it's probably a belt issue. Take the back cover off, one screw, and see if there are 3 small belts attached to the motor pulley. If the belts have broke or are too loose the motor will not turn the take-up reel spindle in forward, or the supply reel spindle in reverse. Sometimes when these projectors don't respond when turning the selector switch it's usually the fuse. The fuses sit in these for decades and oxidize over time. This results in a no-contact between the fuse and the fuse holder. I usually put a new fuse in after using contact cleaner to clean the fuse assembly. If your lamp is lighting then the fuse is working but something to check for maintenance purposes. Is this the regular 8mm machine or the later version for Super 8?

Comment

Hi Shane!

Thanks you for your advice. It is a regular 8mm automatic which has a working bulb but the reel spindle is not turning. Will be opening up to have a look at the belt and some cleaning. Cheers.

Comment

HI Shane,

I opened up and realised the belt did not have a gd grip even though it was at the right place. Changed it and now its working fine. I should have tried it earlier but was apprehensive. thank you for the advice. these machines are a workhorse. Will take the time to clean and maintain.

Comment

Arul,
          I'm glad to hear you got it working! Yes these machines are a definite workhorse. Both my 18-5 regular 8 machine, and 18-5L Super 8 machine run flawlessly. If you ever loose function to the light in the future, clean the lamp assembly contacts, this usually helps restore this issue. Also there are reports of the selector switch going bonkers. Apparently this switch can't be fixed. The issue seems to be the inability of the selector switch turning on the lamp itself. When I first got my 18-5L Super I cleaned all contacts including spraying contact cleaner in the selector switch. I'm not sure whether or not the cleaner penetrated the switch but all is working well. When I partially disassembled the switch assembly I did take notice that there are contacts behind the selector itself. So if those contacts get oxide it would explain why some people have had issues. Anyways these really are great running machines, and gentle on film. Does yours have the Bolex "hifi" prime lens or zoom lens? I fitted my 18-5L Super with a prime and the image quality was amazing for Super 8! The other plus with these machines is the rear-sprung gate. That feature was not common on movie projectors, but Bolex used it in all their early projectors.

Comment

Hi Shane,

Spraying some contact cleaner is definitely a gd tip, thanks for the insight on lamp assembly contacts and possible light loss. My regular 8mm 18-5 Automatic has a hifi lens 1.3 25mm, and the rear-sprung gate with its ability to adjust to different film thickness is a piece of good news. The serial number on this one is 1471736 and looking it up, think its one of the earlier batch. I had previously contemplated getting the sound attachment for this machine, but i guess it they are not so common to find and i wasn't sure how much of a bulk it would add to the compact unit.

Comment

Arul, is this the earliest model with the red selector knob? Is this also the single belt model or does it have the 3 small belts?

Comment

It does not have a red knob and appears to have one belt, although i think the belt can be shifted around. I have attached pictures Shane, perhaps it is suppose to have 3 belts?
                Attached Files

Comment

Arul, yes you need 3 belts on that machine. Might explain why you were having issues with the take-up spindle working. You can order a belt set on eBay. I also think your machine maybe be an early Super 8 machine. The front cover does not look like the covers used on the regular 8 machines.
                  Take a look here.................http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/185auto.html
                  Last edited by Shane C. Collins; February 26, 2021, 10:18 AM.

Comment

Hi Shane,

i’ve come across this site previously and just as you said i suspected it was an earlier model as most appeared to have a different look without the ventilation valves. Appreciate the advice on the belts, i placed all 3 belts and am pretty sure it’ll solve the issue. I had a few extra belts.

regards

arul

Comment

Originally posted by Arul Dass View Post
                      Hi Shane,

i’ve come across this site previously and just as you said i suspected it was an earlier model as most appeared to have a different look without the ventilation valves. Appreciate the advice on the belts, i placed all 3 belts and am pretty sure it’ll solve the issue. I had a few extra belts.

regards

arul
                      Glad to hear it worked out! Yeah the 3 belts are designed to help take stress off the motor, and provide steady torque to the drive mechanism, etc. It's a unique set-up but built with simplicity in mind! Have you run film through this to verify which format it is? For one thing it doesn't have the film guide channel under the machine like the Super 8 versions do. Looking up your serial number it appears that machine was made in 1966. That makes it a late model regular 8 machine. I've never seen one with the grill vent on top. That design was seen more on the Super 8 machine.
                      The photo below is what I always assumed was the last regular 8 version of the 18-5. But yours confirms they must have implemented some changes before dropping production, and moving onto Super 8, which started in 1965. Being that your machine is a 1966 production probably meant it was easier, and cheaper for Bolex to use a Super 8 lamp housing, and then just add a new designed regular 8 badge. Even the badge is not designed like the first 18-5 or auto 18-5 variants. We need Barry Fritz to chime in. He's the expert on these Bolex projectors. The other thing to keep in mind is your lamp housing badge says Bolex 18-5 only. The later Super 8 machines always had "Super" on the badge logos.
                      Click image for larger version  Name:	image_1780.jpg Views:	3 Size:	56.0 KB ID:	28838
                      Last edited by Shane C. Collins; February 27, 2021, 07:35 PM.

Comment

Hi Shane,

Much thanks for the narrowing down of the year of production. Your initial assumptions may be still true as my seller had a few of these machines and he may have substituted the covers by mistake. He had inherited these machines from his dad and his knowledge of the machines was restricted to the fact that they worked. In fact he sent me a regular 8 when i wanted the super 8 of which he had advertised on ebay, as well as missing the reel wheel. The machine worked fine so i decided to keep it instead of going through any further hassle.

Comment

But on hindsight i guess it still wouldnt explain the regular 8 badge with this cover. Have attached a picture of the film sprung area. It is definitely a regular 8 as i have both films and it matches only the regular 8.

Comment

Originally posted by Arul Dass View Post
                            But on hindsight i guess it still wouldn't explain the regular 8 badge with this cover. Have attached a picture of the film sprung area. It is definitely a regular 8 as i have both films and it matches only the regular 8.
                            Yes it's definitely a regular 8 machine! I still think this machine was made at the end of the production cycle for regular 18-5's. A few days ago, I scoured the internet looking for similar machines with that lamp housing design. I was unable to find any machines that look like yours. As you mentioned above, that regular 8 badge is definitely from the factory. By 1966 Bolex was probably already planning to pull the plug on regular machines, so a redesign of the badge would have been more cost effective. If we could get Barry Fritz to chime in he probably could confirm this information.

Comment

Hi Shane,

Thanks for your advice and help, appreciate. Thanks to rest who chipped in as well. Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X