• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sankyo 800 Issue Resolved!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sankyo 2-1.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	192.4 KB
ID:	28556 After pouring over the wealth of information available in Janice's Novel thread and other posts from the archive, I decided to tackle the problem my back-up Sankyo was experiencing: Switched to forward it would run for about 20 seconds then the motor would quit like someone had pushed pause. then after a few minutes it would begin to run again for another 20 seconds and so on. In Janice's thread it looked pretty simple to remove the speed control board so without expensive meters on hand I decided to pull the board from my main working projector and swap it into the second machine. Sure enough, the machine ran perfectly with the replacement board. Knowing this, I ordered components that were replaced in The Novel thread, with three additional capacitors that looked bad to me ( Brown leak stains ). When all the pieces arrived I started by replacing the Largest capacitor, the Transistor and the Bridge rectifier. I popped the board back in and still stalling after 20 seconds. I then replaced the three suspect capacitors and tried again. PRESTO!
    The second machine now runs non-stop until I switch it off! Click image for larger version

Name:	Sankyo 2-2.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	211.2 KB
ID:	28557
    The arrow shows where the transistor was replaced, the top circle is the large cap and rectifier, smaller and to the left are 2 caps that were replaced but I believe, without a meter to confirm, the smaller single cap on the right to be the culprit. Schematic has it tied into the rectifier, large cap and transistor circuit. I was in pretty bad shape when I removed it...Nice to finally have 2 fully functional Sankyo Stereo 800's. A real performer!

Yay! Nice work Burton!

Comment

Thanks! I Could not have succeeded had it not been for your extensive efforts and knowledge gained as well as the vast information shared by Forum members during your experience. How is your Sankyo Stereo 800 doing these days? Did you ever try a Sankyo HIPRO lens?

Comment

I was in good shape during this procedure. It was the capacitor that was in pretty bad shape.
        thought it best to catch the typo and post a correction since repairing a projector is easier than editing a post on the forum!

Comment

Well done Burton , a good reference for other Sankyo owners, Mark

Comment

Burton Sundquist My Sankyo 800 journey ended well also. After picking up a second non-working machine I was able to assemble one fully working projector. It is currently my main S8 projector in my permanent setup. Yes I did buy a pro zoom lens and even have gone a step further. To get a larger picture I am using a wide angle lens that I have adapted to the pro zoom lens. It increases the image over a third in size. I like the Sankyo 800 over my Elmo 1200 HD because of it's great sound quality.

Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210224_154013787.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.6 KB ID:	28594 Click image for larger version  Name:	PXL_20210224_154223359.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.8 KB ID:	28595

Comment

Nice setup Janice! And thanks Mark, I agree about the reference for Sankyo Stereo 800 owners. While Janice's Novel thread deals with many issues and solutions i.e. repairing broken trace, multimeter test points, component locations etc., my Sankyo issue is a common one. Not everyone is going to have a spare board to isolate the issue but if you have a motor that runs for a bit then stalls, the fix described here should solve the problem.

​​​​​

Comment

...Janice mentioned her Sankyo Stereo 800 as having better sound than her Elmo 1200 HD.
                Archive searches have indicated that the sound head in the Sankyo Stereo 800 is the same unit in the GS1200! Both perform top notch! The GS
                built-in speakers sound better but through Audio out, you can't tell the difference! High marks to
                Sankyo Stereo 800: the best under $1000 range.

Comment

Working...
                X